Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating "six small meals a day", anyone? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Eating "six small meals a day", anyone?

At the risk of being burnt at the Paleo stake...

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who follows the "eating smaller amounts, more frequently" protocol, and if so, how do you implement it? Do you actually have six small meals, or is it four meals+two snacks / three meals+three snacks etc. etc.

Do you notice any benefits from eating this way?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not I. This is the road to ruin for people who like to eat. I like a nice meal that fulfills me. No way six meals per day can do that. I'd rather eat one meal per day that is hearty, healthy, and fulfilling than six meals that make me feel like crap and always hungry. Maybe if I were active 16 hours per day, I would feel differently. But as an average to lazy person who exercises only to be healthy, I'm going to pass on the whole six meals a day thing. Even two meals per day that are fairly hearty is better than eating like some rabbit. I believe this is one more government scam to keep us addicted to Monsanto/ConAgra shit food.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I tried eating six meals a day to gain weight. Lost weight.

Yep, I physically cannot do it - I lose my appetite, feel sleepy, feel like I'm eating all day, etc. I can devour a massive meal (kilo of potatoes/pound of meat/cheese/cottage cheese/veggies/guac - a la nachos) and dessert in a couple hours, but couldn't possibly eat that same amount spread throughout the day. It's maddening,

The benefits of it - the reason I tried it and why I recommended to a couple of my undereating school friends trying to bulk up - is it's easier (for some people) to get their calories in that way. Some people can't eat volumes of food in a sitting. It's weird.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It depends how long my day is. I feel better if I eat every 4-5 hours, so if I get up at 4 am, and go to bed around 9-10 pm, I will eat about 5 times. Some meals are fast and small, some meals are prolonged and larger (dinner and tea). I find that if I do not eat, I can't concentrate on work or grow angry or whiny.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat 6 meals a day when I spent a few months in the Body For Life mode. It took so much time to fix all those meals and then pack most of them to take with me.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Not I. This is the road to ruin for people who like to eat. I like a nice meal that fulfills me. No way six meals per day can do that. I'd rather eat one meal per day that is hearty, healthy, and fulfilling than six meals that make me feel like crap and always hungry.
    this is pretty much exactly where i'm at. when i have a meal, i want it to be a big, colorful, varied meal. i couldn't do that with six smaller meals. hell, i can't do that with three meals. 1-2 is great for me.

my wife has had some success with this though. she wasn't eating primal at the time, but that doesn't matter. the thing that worked was that she was staying conscious about those six or seven small meals/snacks, which kept her from snacking on crap throughout the day.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I usually graze all day due to the food I eat being liquid or small in size. Eating every few hours keeps stress down and metabolism up.
    nihil

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I have no time for such shenanigans, lol. I eat 2-3 times a day and I try to eat enough that I don't get hungry again until my next free time to eat. (breffast, lunch, dinner, regardless what the actual food may be)

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I usually graze all day due to the food I eat being liquid or small in size. Eating every few hours keeps stress down and metabolism up.
    This is conventional wisdom at it's finest. Read up on TEF, six small meals, one big meal, no difference in metabolism; it's the same net value.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've experimented with most diets and meal timings. My problem is that I get hungry frequently (never "didn't get hungry" on a HFLC diet) and when I'm trying to IF or even just eat three times a day it fuels my obsessiveness about food cos' I'm looking at the clock for when I can eat.

Lately I've been eating whenever I want, and I'm finding that I'm gravitating towards smaller, more frequent meals. I've always had this attitude of "gotta-fit-as-much-as-poss-into-one-sitting", but with the freedom to eat as often as I like I'm kind of losing that mentality.

I think you need pretty strong digestion to fit all your cals into two meals per day, and I don't think I have that.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast