Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Eating "six small meals a day", anyone? page 4

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by heregoesnothing View Post
    another theory I have about the CW advice to eat many small meals a day is that it is correlation not causation - the people whose bodies "naturally" prefer this way of eating are often lean, but people who are choosing to lose weight who artificially force this on themselves end up hungry and anxious and miserable
    I totally agree with this. I think if we all ate with the rhythms of our bodies a lot of wrongs would be righted. I've noticed that a lot of naturally lean people do terribly on Primal when they try to adopt the meal timings cos' they just can't manage all the cals in one / two sittings.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Maybe the "Eating like a predator" theory depends on if you're predatorial in life. I don't think I have an alpha bone in my body to be honest... in ancient times I'm sure I would've been the one eating peyote and going into trances (for the good of the tribe, of course )
    Even my dogs chew on a bone throughout the day, or gladly accept a snack or want a bite of this or that, though they really only eat one "meal", if that, though it is out all the time. They will also gladly go chase a rabbit if the situation arises, whether they just ate or not... just sayin' Now eating it if they ever caught it, might be a different story. We may never know the answer to that one... thank goodness says the little rabbit.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    monday through friday, my wife and i are pretty much 2 meals a day. breakfast and dinner, pretty much 12 hours apart at 5am and 5pm. sometimes we also throw in a snack around 8-9pm, some dark chocolate, or tea with raw honey, etc.

during the weekend, we're more grazers. breakfast around 9am. a few snacks throughout the day. a later dinner. a late-night snack. the best of both worlds, i guess
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

KT79 is offline Member
    I used to be a 3-meals a day plus 1-2 snacks person. I've cut back on the snacking, though, because I've realized it's mostly out of boredom or because I'm 'used to' eating a certain times of day - particularly at work. If I'm genuinely hungry, that's one thing - but I was eating just because it was 10:30 and time for my morning break, which is something else entirely! I think I'm still eating the same amount of food overall, but instead of breaking it up throughout the day I'm just having it all at lunchtime around noon or 1:00, and then not eating again until dinner at 7 or so.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    My 2p: I go completely bananas if I try to eat to any schedule other than when I experience hunger. So (as someone who has a sedentary job, doesn't crossfit etc), that currently usually means 2 - 3 times per day, but can be more.

Any kind of dogma feels completely unhelpful to me, so while I sometimes do skip meals (e.g. today I got up too late for breakfast, felt OK when I got to work so didn't eat til lunchtime), I never aim to do so and don't even find the language of 'fasting' helpful.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I always used to have an afternoon snack as I would get weak and feel out of it. I am loving having a bigger fatty lunch and being able to go about the rest of my day without even thinking about food until dinner, if I haven't eaten quite enough then a spoon of coconut oil does the job. Snacking has become problematic for me as foods I used to snack on like yogurt, nuts, eggs, candy, etc etc. I can no longer have without a reaction so I don't have portable snack foods that I like. Solid 3 meals a day works for me
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Maybe the "Eating like a predator" theory depends on if you're predatorial in life. I don't think I have an alpha bone in my body to be honest... in ancient times I'm sure I would've been the one eating peyote and going into trances (for the good of the tribe, of course )
    In prehistoric times you might have been a shaman who did some gathering during lean times. But when the hunters brought home the haunch of mammoth, everybody in the tribe would have shared.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I resent the sentiment that if it's CW, it must be clearly wrong. Some conventional things may work for you, and some unconventional. It is no secret that a lot of women react badly to extended fasting periods, i.e. IF, and eating more frequently (every 3-5 hours) and in smaller quantities is what the doctor ordered. 5 300 cals meals are the same as two meals of 700 and 800 cals.

Plus, I was always impressed by the fact that sumo wrestlers eat just one huge meal a day to better gain weight.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I resent the sentiment that if it's CW, it must be clearly wrong. Some conventional things may work for you, and some unconventional. It is no secret that a lot of women react badly to extended fasting periods, i.e. IF, and eating more frequently (every 3-5 hours) and in smaller quantities is what the doctor ordered. 5 300 cals meals are the same as two meals of 700 and 800 cals.

Plus, I was always impressed by the fact that sumo wrestlers eat just one huge meal a day to better gain weight.
    Six meals a day isn't even CW: it was one of those celebtiry diet fads that emerged. Three meals a day is CW.

Leida, I've been doing it for two days now, and I swear, it's unbelievaly liberating. Apart from the annoyance of having to carry food with you, it's such a relief not to have to stuff myself at every meal cos I\'m worried about getting hungry.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is no secret that a lot of women react badly to extended fasting periods, i.e. IF, and eating more frequently (every 3-5 hours) and in smaller quantities is what the doctor ordered. 5 300 cals meals are the same as two meals of 700 and 800 cals.
    Women I know or have read discussing this elsewhere are uniformly on a high carb diet, which is a special case.

I have nothing against someone finding their own way, but the reason people here have lost respect for conventional wisdom is that it claims universal applicability, while it actually only applies to some cases.

Uh, they don't. That's part of the myth. I saw a documentary on sumo wrestlers. Later in the evening they went out to McDonald's and stuffed themselves with burgers and fries.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast