Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating "six small meals a day", anyone? page 3

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have found that I operate best on four: Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner.

If lunch is too small or too early then I tend to graze through the afternoon trying to fill up and it is very unsatisfying. So it's better to eat enough lunch, then later sit down to a decent snack/mini-meal.

Occasionally I will skip breakfast, so that would leave three meals. I can't imagine going for six now, but in the old days, yeah, eating all the time.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    At the risk of being burnt at the Paleo stake...

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who follows the "eating smaller amounts, more frequently" protocol, and if so, how do you implement it? Do you actually have six small meals, or is it four meals+two snacks / three meals+three snacks etc. etc.

Do you notice any benefits from eating this way?
    My husband did this for . . . oh, 15 years or something.

Essentially, he ate exactly six meals per day and would *freak out* about his meal times like an obsessive fool. And, he had to eat at *exactly* the right times or he would DIE. And, he had to carry the most massive, massive lunch box known to mankind.

It worked fine, honestly. He as just crazy.

Now with fat, paleo, and IF, he's so happy. He just feels like he'll be ok no matter what.

tdugmen is offline Junior Member
    In my case, it depends... some days I feel like having 4 meals or so, some days I'm totally stuffed with just one! It depends on the level of activity, the kind of foods, even the weather (does anyone else here tends to eat more when it's cloudy and cold?:P).
    My sister can't eat more than some bites per meal, so she has 6 meals per day (she's not primal, true, but she's fit, thin and ultra-active-and usually avoids processed crap) and it works for her, so if you think it'll be better for you, just give it a try!

Pikes is offline Junior Member
    I am still doing 6/day, i find a combination of snack/shake and 3 main meals does the job perfectly for me.

day looks something like this.

4am, cycle 2.5hours
    8am Banana Pancakes + coffee (4eggs + 1.5 banana)
    11am Green Apple
    14.30ish Lunch, today we have sweet patato and curry mince
    16.00 5km run + 1km swim
    17.30 Post training shake (30g protein +- 20g hi-GI carbs)
    19.00 dinner, some kind of meat and veggies
    21.30 casein protein mousse

hope this helps you, this works well for me. i am never really hungry, besides during the morning bike ride. i am going to try the cocconut oil mixed into the coffee on the next ride and see if this helps.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    My husband did this for . . . oh, 15 years or something.

Essentially, he ate exactly six meals per day and would *freak out* about his meal times like an obsessive fool. And, he had to eat at *exactly* the right times or he would DIE. And, he had to carry the most massive, massive lunch box known to mankind.

It worked fine, honestly. He as just crazy.

Now with fat, paleo, and IF, he's so happy. He just feels like he'll be ok no matter what.
    Ha, well I'm already crazy, how much worse can it get?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I have found that I operate best on four: Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner.

If lunch is too small or too early then I tend to graze through the afternoon trying to fill up and it is very unsatisfying. So it's better to eat enough lunch, then later sit down to a decent snack/mini-meal.

Occasionally I will skip breakfast, so that would leave three meals. I can't imagine going for six now, but in the old days, yeah, eating all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdugmen View Post
    In my case, it depends... some days I feel like having 4 meals or so, some days I'm totally stuffed with just one! It depends on the level of activity, the kind of foods, even the weather (does anyone else here tends to eat more when it's cloudy and cold?:P).
    My sister can't eat more than some bites per meal, so she has 6 meals per day (she's not primal, true, but she's fit, thin and ultra-active-and usually avoids processed crap) and it works for her, so if you think it'll be better for you, just give it a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikes View Post
    I am still doing 6/day, i find a combination of snack/shake and 3 main meals does the job perfectly for me.

day looks something like this.

4am, cycle 2.5hours
    8am Banana Pancakes + coffee (4eggs + 1.5 banana)
    11am Green Apple
    14.30ish Lunch, today we have sweet patato and curry mince
    16.00 5km run + 1km swim
    17.30 Post training shake (30g protein +- 20g hi-GI carbs)
    19.00 dinner, some kind of meat and veggies
    21.30 casein protein mousse

hope this helps you, this works well for me. i am never really hungry, besides during the morning bike ride. i am going to try the cocconut oil mixed into the coffee on the next ride and see if this helps.
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys I can relate to everything you're saying. I'm going to try eating when hungry instead of being militant about no snacking / ideal meal spacings / "appropriate" meal times.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys I can relate to everything you're saying. I'm going to try eating when hungry instead of being militant about no snacking / ideal meal spacings / "appropriate" meal times.

Sounds like a good plan. I started eating 2 or 3 meals a day, depending on when I am hungry and it has worked wonders for me. I have definitely lost weight but more importantly, I just make sure I eat good meals and dont snack. Snacking is the fastest way for me to go right off the deep end. But if I eat a good solid meal, I am not hungry long enough to be able to prepare another good meal. For ME, getting rid of the snacking habit has been the best thing. Plus, I dont worry or even think much about food or when to eat or how many calories I've had. I eat meals with protein, lots of veggies and healthy fats and maybe some fruit. I think everyone is different but that is what works for me.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hi yogabare,
    I have a different approach that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I do it all.

From snacking all day which leaves me not really having any "meals" to only having 2 large meals a day and anything in between; 3 meals, 4 meals, 3 meals + a snack, 3 meals + 2 snacks, you get the idea. I go from eating lots of food in a day to not very much if any. My macro ranges can fluctuate wildly on a daily basis. The only thing that stays consistent is the type of food in my fridge & cupboards.

The benefit I find this gives me is it keeps my metabolism guessing, with various systems working hard at stages and resting at other stages, it makes for a more robust metabolism. I've got a thread going at the moment that explains this in a little more detail, here it is:

Applying fitness principles to your diet.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Hi yogabare,
    I have a different approach that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I do it all.

From snacking all day which leaves me not really having any "meals" to only having 2 large meals a day and anything in between; 3 meals, 4 meals, 3 meals + a snack, 3 meals + 2 snacks, you get the idea. I go from eating lots of food in a day to not very much if any. My macro ranges can fluctuate wildly on a daily basis. The only thing that stays consistent is the type of food in my fridge & cupboards.

The benefit I find this gives me is it keeps my metabolism guessing, with various systems working hard at stages and resting at other stages, it makes for a more robust metabolism. I've got a thread going at the moment that explains this in a little more detail, here it is:

Applying fitness principles to your diet.
    That definitely resonates with me - eating with the rhythms of the body instead of adhering to what you believe is the best way to eat. Clearly for some people the body's rhythms work better feeding it less frequently; not so for other people.

Maybe the "Eating like a predator" theory depends on if you're predatorial in life. I don't think I have an alpha bone in my body to be honest... in ancient times I'm sure I would've been the one eating peyote and going into trances (for the good of the tribe, of course )

Brilliant summation on your thread btw!

- Ray Peat

FWIW (and for background, I am not fully Primal so take this with several grains of salt) I have always naturally eaten many small meals. I genuinely believe that it is how my body prefers to eat. I think a lot of backlash you get for that idea stems from people who naturally tend to skipping breakfast or eating a couple of large meals who then forced themselves to do the "6 small meals a day" thing because "CW" said it was healthy. Once you get in tune with your body (which I realize is a Herculean feat for some and I'm not at all belittling that) it will tell you how often and how much to eat. Also for context I am F, 28, 5'9" and I have always been lean. (another theory I have about the CW advice to eat many small meals a day is that it is correlation not causation - the people whose bodies "naturally" prefer this way of eating are often lean, but people who are choosing to lose weight who artificially force this on themselves end up hungry and anxious and miserable)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast