Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating "six small meals a day", anyone? page 2

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If eating 6 meals, or 10 meals, or 1 meal is what works to make your body happy, then that is what you should do.

I don't set out to eat thrice or twice, it's simply what I have time for in my schedule, and it's the way my body happens to like it. Outside of my binging episodes (which I am now seeking therapy for) I am not a snacker, I don't like eating between my main meals and I get no urge to do so. That's why eating the way I do works for me.

Sounds like your body tells you to eat many times in small amounts - that, then, is what you should do! Who cares what protocol it is... it honestly falls well in line with Mark's eat when you're hungry philosophy.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    If eating 6 meals, or 10 meals, or 1 meal is what works to make your body happy, then that is what you should do.

I don't set out to eat thrice or twice, it's simply what I have time for in my schedule, and it's the way my body happens to like it. Outside of my binging episodes (which I am now seeking therapy for) I am not a snacker, I don't like eating between my main meals and I get no urge to do so. That's why eating the way I do works for me.

Sounds like your body tells you to eat many times in small amounts - that, then, is what you should do! Who cares what protocol it is... it honestly falls well in line with Mark's eat when you're hungry philosophy.

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I sort of did something like this when I was healing my IBS because big portion sizes were a trigger. Essentially what I did was to prepare a normal sized meal, but only eat half of it, wait 1-2 hours, and eat the other half. It wasn't until I cut my portion size down that I was able to make my pain go away, so I'd say that was a pretty big benefit.

I tend to skip meals out of laziness or disinterest in eating, and my IBS is healed, so I don't do 5-6 meals a day, but I do tend to snack a little more frequently only because if I didn't, my calories would be way too low, so my snacking is a conscious effort, not something I do because I'm hungry.

I feel much better with smaller portions even though I don't need them anymore the way I did before. I've tried taking big doses of HCl with bigger meals just in case it was a stomach acid issue, but it doesn't seem to have an effect. I think my system just functions better with smaller portion sizes.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think you need pretty strong digestion to fit all your cals into two meals per day, and I don't think I have that.
    Eating often may be just the thing for your metabolism. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I wound up eating six regular sized meals and gaining weight. Of course, I was eating a lot of whole grains at the time, so that may have influenced the results. Two to three primal meals a day with one or two snacks has been working the best for me, at least so far. If my progress (health improvements, weight loss, and becoming more fit) slacks off I'd do what you're doing and reassess or be willing to shake things up.

Something that has helped me immensely is to plan out everything I'll have to eat the next day and prepare as much as possible of it the day before. Small changes to the menu are fine, but I'm never at a loss as to what to make for a meal or if any snacks that suit this WOE are available. My husband isn't following the PWOE so there are lots of snacks, baked goods, cereals, etc. here. If I have delicious primal oriented food ready, temptation to eat other things is a lot less.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Unless you count eating my lunch over 3 courses because I wasnt full after the big ass salad, and the yogurt and berries, and going back for a handful of nuts, then no. I usually eat a meal somewhere late morning/noonish, maybe an afternoon snack, and dinner with the fam around 6. An evening snack or dessert if I'm feeling rebellious.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Just my fwiw, which isnt much...

When I started out and losing at a good clip, I was eating something every few hours it seems. Not alot, but something. Counted calories always. I had already lost 15 or so with small changes, so I think I already had the easy initial weight loss that ppl have. I was also hungry alot, going to bed hungry, waking up hungry. I was also exercising more, which made me more hungry.

Something happened later - I switched macros around & I wasnt as hungry anymore. I wasnt going to bed hungry nor waking up hungry. Only eating once a day, maybe couple times every couple of days, or maybe BPC for breakfast then dinner later. Energy tanked also, exercise pretty much non-existent. Result: Weight loss slowed down until finally it stopped.

And I am still trying to get things moving in the right direction again. I have even tried to experiment back to the old way. I have found that I can be happy both ways. I can drag out 1200 calories over the course of the day, or I can eat it all at one meal. I guess it just all depends on what it is and what the rest of my day looks like. But I am still trying to find my groove back as far as weight loss is concerned.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I usually graze all day due to the food I eat being liquid or small in size. Eating every few hours keeps stress down and metabolism up.
    Yep, The Primal Hummingbird Diet.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat 3 meals plus 2 snacks a day because I couldn't make it to the next meal without snacking. I didn't like how I felt, though, thinking about when the next time food is.

When decreasing carbs and increasing fat, and eating more nutrient foods, I eventually stopped feeling hungry all the time. I like to eat a huge dinner, go to sleep with a full belly, and not wake up hungry. Makes me more alert in the mornings. Brunch/lunch is usually half the amount of dinner, just enough to not feel hungry. When I feel like a snack, it's usually tea or broth or juiced veggies.

Matt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    I tried eating six meals a day to gain weight. Lost weight.

Yep, I physically cannot do it - I lose my appetite, feel sleepy, feel like I'm eating all day, etc. I can devour a massive meal (kilo of potatoes/pound of meat/cheese/cottage cheese/veggies/guac - a la nachos) and dessert in a couple hours, but couldn't possibly eat that same amount spread throughout the day. It's maddening,

The benefits of it - the reason I tried it and why I recommended to a couple of my undereating school friends trying to bulk up - is it's easier (for some people) to get their calories in that way. Some people can't eat volumes of food in a sitting. It's weird.
    This is me. I could never get my usual calories per day without snacks (2 per day to go with my 3 meals).... I just have never been able to eat a lot at a sitting, but can eat often. I tried doing the 3 meals per day thing, but I was either uncomfortable from being too full, or way low on calories.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If I'm not at work I usually have about 5 snacks through the day and then a big meal at night before bed. I don't like feeling of eating big during the day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast