Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dandelion root gets me high. WTF? page 5

Jenna H is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, if you pickle some dandelion roots you'll have to let us know what they taste like.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    It'll be quite some time before we get around to it. Knifegill and I only just got our three pickling jars, and we're already making pickles and pickled carrots in two of them. They take about a month to ferment, and I definitely want to pickle green beans, beets, and sauerkraut before I try something like pickling dandelion roots. So, unless we get more pickling jars, it'll be months before we've got a jar for dandelions. We'll certainly update when we make them, though!

In the meantime, it looks like people already are pickling them, and liking it! Recipes - Pickled Dandelion Root - from MB Spice Co Pickling Dandelion Roots | Michelle and Vita Adventures

This person made kimchi with the leaves. Interesting! Fermentation Support Forum • View topic - dandelion kimchi

And, this person pickles the flower buds! Herbs and wild foods recipes from Cedar Mountain Herb School

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    @Aldergirl, I note that the links you put pickle with vinegar. You use the word ferment, so I am assuming you do the same fermented methods that I do. I want to try fermented asparagus if I can find a source of REALLY fresh stuff. It should be great! But I'm not sure about trying dandelion root! Let me know if you do!!!

Yeah, I couldn't find any that weren't pickled in vinegar. It seems a lot of recipes for pickling are in vinegar, rather than a natural ferment. I'm hoping/thinking that they'll taste just as good, if not better, if naturally fermented in a brine. I know pickles and sauerkraut are better that way, so I'm assuming that dandelion root would be, too. But, I don't know!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't find any that weren't pickled in vinegar. It seems a lot of recipes for pickling are in vinegar, rather than a natural ferment. I'm hoping/thinking that they'll taste just as good, if not better, if naturally fermented in a brine. I know pickles and sauerkraut are better that way, so I'm assuming that dandelion root would be, too. But, I don't know!
    I DO know. The answer is, no, they won't. I've tried three times and dandelion does NOT like to be fermented! Do NOT attempt unless you have a taste for pain.

I love, LOVE, natural bitter flavors and dandelion is a fine example, but fermentation does not combine well with this.

As I said, I've tried three times and to iced a few things:

a) It comes out with the consistency of spinach boiled for several HOURS. The leaves are too thin that they get mushy rapido! Ugh. And NO amount of salt can save them. Each time I tried I added more and more salt to supposedly keep them crispier, did nothing.

b) They came out at least ten times as bitter as the fresh leaves. And as I said, I love my bitter tastes! I mean hell, this is a guy who drinks unsweetened yerba mate almost daily. But this was... OMG, bitter, sour, all rolled up in one. And I tried fermenting with herbs too, but no amount of spicing could save them. I was brave enough to try it, and three times to boot, but I would not recommend this to ANYONE sane. I did the experiment so you don't have to.

Maybe, MAYBE if you fermented them as a small flavor component of a larger ferment, say a batch of sauerkraut, a single leaf in a jar of pickles, maybe in a pot of kimchi or something, they would work as a flavor ELEMENT. But as the main flavor? Bleagh! There there is a REASON no traditional societies were known to have fermented kale and I suspect it's much the same reason this stuff turned out pretty damn gross.

Edit: Saw a mention of fermented asparagus. Yes. YES! That stuff is awesome. THIS is what you should be making. Oh, and fermented okra. That shit is also epic.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 04-28-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Why bother with the leaves? I would only try to ferment the roots. Did you try that?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Why bother with the leaves? I would only try to ferment the roots. Did you try that?
    I fermented leaves and roots together the last time, when it was the most bitter of all. I put that down to the roots obviously being the most bitter portion of the plant which gets accentuated by the fermentation process. And if you want the magnesium and a lot the other good nutrients in the dandelion, you're gonna need the leaves for that anyway, as magnesium is the center of chlorophyll, and is therefore bonded to the green portion of the plant as are many of the other nutritional components of the plant.

I was going for a "full-spectrum" thing myself.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    We will probably try the roots alone. I will probably enjoy it thoroughly even if it does taste technically "bad", because flavors to me are like colors - I just see them, they don't assault me. For the most part. The taste of purell I once accidentally got on my tongue and for three days everything tasted sort of like burnt rotten blood, that SUCKED.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    We will probably try the roots alone. I will probably enjoy it thoroughly even if it does taste technically "bad", because flavors to me are like colors - I just see them, they don't assault me. For the most part. The taste of purell I once accidentally got on my tongue and for three days everything tasted sort of like burnt rotten blood, that SUCKED.
    I do, however, feel in no hurry to try it anytime soon! I'd rather try pickling the foods that have been found to be yummy, first. Like pickled asparagus--now that sounds good!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    I do, however, feel in no hurry to try it anytime soon! I'd rather try pickling the foods that have been found to be yummy, first. Like pickled asparagus--now that sounds good!
    Just saying, but by the very definition, pickling means it's done with vinegar. And there will be no probiotics at all.

I think fermentation is the word you're looking for?

That may be why all of your recipes use vinegar and you keep being disappointed. Google thinks that's exactly what you want.

Here are winners I've experimented with:

girlichef: Lacto-Fermented Asparagus
    Frog Bottom Farm Blog Archive Okra, four ways (fermentation is one of the four)
    Lacto-Fermented Onions
    52 Weeks of Bad A** Bacteria - Week 1 - Pickled Garlic - Delicious Obsessions

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast