Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No results at gym and I am wondering if they're PB related? page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

Question No results at gym and I am wondering if they're PB related?

Primal Fuel
    I started workout/nutrition routine at a gym in April of 2011, the trainer/nutrition counselor recommended CW diet, low fat, low carb, lots of plain chicken, the work out was 3x week and I was to have 6 meals and drink casein before bedtime, I also had whey protein post work out. I did that for 5 months and saw results. It was too expensive for my budget and after that I started to do Crossfit, this was in september, then CF led me to Paleo/primal, this was in November of 2011.

Since going primal I lost the bulk of the extra weight I had very easy, about 15 lbs, however, I feel that since then my physical progress at the gym has stalled, or at least progressed at a dying snail's pace. I don't feel that I am getting any stronger, nor do I see any increased muscle mass. I CF 3-4x week and can't seem to be able to increase the load, its driving me crazy! I have been wondering lately if it was the casein that was helping me build the muscle?

What is everyone else doing in terms of supplements or to support the work out routine?

My stats: Female, 110 lbs, excercise while fasted and take aminos prior to workout, 3 primal meals/day, sometimes dark chocolate with nuts and berries for dessert.

I am not trying to look like a body builder, but I'd like to see some tone, some definition to my arms, abs etc. I also don't feel strong, when in outdoor settings I don't perform the way I think I should based on what I constantly read here and other paleo and primal sources, not to mention CF. Example, went water skiing last weekend and lets just say that I spent more time swalloing water and swimming than skiing...

Thanks for your help!

(Sorry about the long post)
    Loving my primal life

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Eat more? That seems to be the answer a surprising number of times.

I have used my fitness pal and other websites alike and sometimes my calorie intake seems pretty high, like almost 3k/day. And I have sizeable protein in my meals .
    Loving my primal life

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Why are you working out fasted? That's the first or second variable I'd try to manipulate (along with increasing your total food intake, as suggested above).

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Are you really low carb? I was for a long time and did not gain any significant muscle mass until I upped my carb intake significantly. Making sure to eat LOTS of protein probably helped also. If you are CF-ing 3-4x/week, you probably need a fair amount of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Why are you working out fasted? That's the first or second variable I'd try to manipulate (along with increasing your total food intake, as suggested above).
    I am working out fasted b/c I do it first thing in the morning, on random occassions when I can't get out of bed, i will do it after work but if i have any food in my stomach I will feel like i have to barf.. (lol, sorry)
    Loving my primal life

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Are you really low carb? I was for a long time and did not gain any significant muscle mass until I upped my carb intake significantly. Making sure to eat LOTS of protein probably helped also. If you are CF-ing 3-4x/week, you probably need a fair amount of carbs.
    I am not really low carb, I eat sweet potato almost every day, specially if I worked out that day.
    Loving my primal life

Quote Originally Posted by polos26 View Post
    I am not really low carb, I eat sweet potato almost every day, specially if I worked out that day.
    Ok. I eat like 2+lbs. of potatoes on workout days, along with fruit. I haven't tracked in a long time, but I imagine I get 300 - 350 g of carbs some days. Rest days are a good bit lower, like 150g range. And I don't even crossfit. I say all this to say: you may need even more carbs, depending on how much sweet potato you are eating. If it's just one, it might not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Ok. I eat like 2+lbs. of potatoes on workout days, along with fruit. I haven't tracked in a long time, but I imagine I get 300 - 350 g of carbs some days. Rest days are a good bit lower, like 150g range. And I don't even crossfit. I say all this to say: you may need even more carbs, depending on how much sweet potato you are eating. If it's just one, it might not be enough.
    MMMmm.. ok. I hadn't thought about carbs being the culprit of my stall. i will play with carbs and see what happens! Thanks!
    Loving my primal life

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by polos26 View Post
    MMMmm.. ok. I hadn't thought about carbs being the culprit of my stall. i will play with carbs and see what happens! Thanks!
    I guess I should also add that I am a 5'11" 175lb guy, so you might need slightly less carbs than I eat, although if you are working out really intensely, you might actually need more, who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast