Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in/near Santa Cruz, CA? page

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member

Anyone in/near Santa Cruz, CA?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys!
    So I just moved to Santa Cruz two days ago.
    I was wondering if anyone has any info on local farms, stores, farmers' markets, etc.
    Mostly I'm trying to find good sources of grass-fed raw milk and pastured eggs.

I haven't searched TOO extensively, but so far all I've found is raw milk for over $8.00 for a half gallon. Is this just what I have to get used to? This is over two times higher than what I'm used to. I knew CA would be more expensive but that's kind of ridiculous.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I live in Northern Ca. and that's about what we pay for our raw goat milk, we belong to a goat share. Everything is more expensive it seems in California. I'm always jealous when I read about folks getting pastured eggs and raw milk for really cheap in other parts of the country. But it's the same with gas we pay way more than every one else.

Other than the expense how are you liking SC? My husband grew up there and I grew up on the other side of the bay.

Paleobird Guest
    Santa Cruz is lovely. I lived in the bay area for ten years and that was always the beach "getaway" spot of choice.

See if you can find yourself a Sprouts market. I think they are in all of CA. They carry the Organic Pastures line of raw dairy products. Organic Pastures also has a website and does deliver within CA (for a fee).

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Have you gone to The Staff of Life yet?

Staff of Life Natural Food Market - Santa Cruz, California

Thanks guys!
    In my two days here, I'm loving it! The weather is great and the people are so friendly!
    I'm just having a hard time finding a place that will accept dogs. It seems hardly anyone will!

Urban Forager - yes! I went there yesterday. It was a great store but the raw milk there was that expensive.

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    I live in Santa Cruz, it actually is a very dog friendly city once you get a place. As for food, feel free to PM me for recs, but I love Shoppers Corner, New Leaf and Staff of Life for shopping. The downtown (wednesday night) farmers market is awesome. The saturday (westside) and sunday (live oak/ near 17th and portola) farmers markets are smaller but really good as well. Lots of great restaurants and most everyone will make them paleo-ish for you- My favorite is Surfrider Cafe: 1/2 pound stuffed burgers which they happily do with no bun, fresh local veggies and even a house made honey mustard dressing that is killer and well within primal bounds. Plus they have amazing local beer.
    Carter
    Male 37 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    180 LBs- 8/15/12 - CW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

Thanks Carter!!
    Hopefully I can find a place soon. I'm currently staying in a motel in watsonville with my gf, dog, and friend so it's getting cramped! Most houses for rent don't allow dogs at all, and most apartments are full with a long waiting list!

I'll have to check out Shoppers Corner and New Leaf (and check for a sprouts) as well as those farmers markets. And I'm especially excited to discover some new favorite restaurants.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You won't find whole raw milk any cheaper than that anywhere in California. I pay about $7.49 for mine, when I bought it, but I don't anymore because it's way too expensive. Skim raw milk is about half price, but like 1/4th of the flavor. It used to be much cheaper until the FDA started regulating it a lot more.

Everything in California is inflated 25-50%. Also, once you get over the sunshine and beaches you'll realize this place is actually a miserable shithole.

Welcome to California!
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I like all the farmers' markets...a great chance to support local producers, too!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Everything in California is inflated 25-50%. Also, once you get over the sunshine and beaches you'll realize this place is actually a miserable shithole.
    It depends on how much you dislike Democrats and Liberals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast