Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: wow, Whole Foods has really gone down the crapper. page 5

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm really glad this got bumped back up. Please read the response from Organic Valley. I'm sure many of us have been the subject of untrue gossip. I believe this is true of OV. It's not any different for a company than it is for a person. Bullshit rumors can hurt.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    While WF does have issues, in my time working there I got the impression that the company/management really do believe that they are doing the right thing, for the most part. They have and will pull a company's products for doing things that violate their contracts and principles, such as adding aspartame or MSG.

The food-like products are there because conventional wisdom still holds those things to be healthy or desirable, and people want to pay money for them.

They do stock some local products, and if they don't, you can often talk to the buyer in a given department to ask for a specific thing from a specific place. The buyers at each store have quite a bit of discretion, and a good one will at least look into things when customers ask. The WF near me stocks quite a few kinds of local honey, and meats from a couple of farms within a couple hundred miles (not really sure where they are). The one near my hometown stocks the locally-roasted coffees. Most stores I've been to will have a small "local" section for non-perishable stuff, such as jams, honey, etc. A lot will buy special baked goods from local bakeries, for stuff they don't make themselves, or that already has a name for itself.

While everyone wants local produce, there are growing seasons for everything, and it is not always feasible to have everything you want grown locally at all times of the year. When peaches, lettuce, or berries are in season here, they are sold with a big "Buy Local" sign hanging over them, often with the name of the farm where they come from. Same thing with apples and grapes. However, the apples they sell when the peaches are in season are very rarely the local ones.

Overall, I'd say that they are definitely not perfect, but more good than evil.

I totally agree with you jfreaksho. We go to WF when we need healthier items in a pinch but we recently started going to Farmer's Markets and like the produce we see. However, we don't know if the grower used pesticide or if the crop is GMO. Somethings can be taken for granted at a Farmer's Market unless you personally know the grower. My advice to everyone, if possible, grow your own. If you've never grown anything, try something small like an herb garden and then try for tomatoes next year.

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, all grocery stores are the same... Stick to the 'outside' of the store for produce and meats, and all the packaged 'aisle food' is the same crap everywhere.

I frequent Central Market for my produce, and I love that I can talk to the butchers about the meat (for the most part). I'm moving toward getting my beef, pork, and poultry from local farms in the near future, however.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

Jer37208 is offline Member
    I only go to pick up chicks anyway
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Just got my WFoods special-of-the-week email. Farmed salmon. May I have extra antibiotics with that, please?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand.....I thought WF was a place to find weenie guys with soy bitch-tits to beat-up and take their girlfriends? There is food there?

But seriously.

It works.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    No Whole Paycheck in the state of VT though.....they thought about putting one up close to Burlington, until someone with functioning brain cells realized it would be about as popular as a herpes inoculation up here.

We have actual farmers here, with actual food, that don't require a bright store to buy it from them. My whole foods is to drive into town on Saturday mornings past the dozen farm stands on the way selling GF beef out of a Coleman cooler
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    In my experience, all grocery stores are the same... Stick to the 'outside' of the store for produce and meats, and all the packaged 'aisle food' is the same crap everywhere.
    A lot of sophisticated impulse research goes into these places. IME bringing a list is crucial--upscale or downscale, stuffing the basket at random is a mistake.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Kwaggz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with you PicklePete. If I don't go into a store with a list, I end up browsing and spending way too much. Here, our farmers market is on Saturday, and prices are pretty steep. I'm beginning to look for meat outside of the stores, as there are a few farms around here that are doing organic/freerange/pastured meats. For produce though, you can't beat Whole Foods. There is no healthfood store, or TJ's, or EarthFare. Louisiana is not a health-conscious state, and it's very slow in changing its views. I appreciate what I can find at WF and don't buy many processed food products from there, so it's not a big deal to me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast