Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: wow, Whole Foods has really gone down the crapper. page 4

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Buy local. These people feed off your laziness. This is the biggest problem. Everyone remains quiet about everything. They're terrified of informed critical thinking people, and even more a mob. Change starts with you.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Primitiva is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khainag View Post
    Where's it produced?
    The brand is called Thousand Hills from I think Minnesota. Super Target carries hotdogs $5.99, ground beef 85-15 $6.99, ground beef 92-8 $7.99 and other cuts for $10-$12.

Thousand Hills Cattle Company Grass Fed Beef
    Last edited by Primitiva; 04-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Khainag is offline Member
    Huh, interesting!

I did just get some ground lamb from a farm a few miles away... so lucky. Less than $8/lb!!! But yeah my mom has been trying to get grass-fed in WY but despite there being a shop in town selling all local stuff, they told her they stopped carrying grass-fed because people were complaining about the taste!? I had some of their liver a couple of weeks ago though and it was pretty great...
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I used to be sad that our closest one was so far away, but we have a couple of local WF type of stores that carry everything I'd get at WF and more. Raw milk cheeses, grass fed beef, local dairy, etc. 70-80% of the stuff is pure pricey junk food crapola, just like WF. Prepared foods and novelty items are the worst. $12 bucks for a loaf of frozen GF bread that contains canola oil? GTFO of here. $9 bucks for 3oz of kale chips? Crazy. Thankfully our regular grocery stores now carry many "specialty" items too. Amazon prime for bulk items.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    It's funny, I was initially thrilled to be living within a driveable distance (about 45 mins) of a Whole Foods but I've only been there twice because it really didn't impress me that much. I had the same problem with the prepared foods, and while I did get a few deals with coupons, it wasn't worth the drive. They did have local low-temp pasteurized and non-homogenized milk, but absolutely no pastured eggs, and a lot of things were way overpriced. I do still drive to Earth Fare (a shorter drive because it's out toward the 'burbs) once or twice a month because their prices are not as steep, their coupon deals can be amazing, and they are pretty strict about the things they carry/prepare. Otherwise, I try to source my meat/eggs/dairy/produce from the farms locally, and live just far enough in the country where the local farmers are catering to the city markets, so it's good stuff--no GMO's, truly pastured/grass-fed, etc.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    "Half-Foods".

SrtaSoleada is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Maybe the Jacksonville, FL location is trying something new. Even the sweet plantains were drenched in soybean oil. What a bummer!
    I know exactly what you mean . . . I usually go to the one in Mandarin and can sometimes find ONE meat item with no nasty ingredients. The side dishes are all out, though. I went to a Whole Foods in Raleigh, NC that at least had a lot of local vendors. The ones in Jax, FL are just a really expensive Publix.

Have you tried Native Sun? Their hot bar usually lacks in the red meat department, and I don't think they list their ingredients out, so I don't know what oil they use to cook, but all of their vendors are required to be certified GMO-free (and they've dropped vendors before for not complying). So if it's soybean oil, at least it's not GMO soybean oil. Yay?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I got my response from Organic Valley as follows:

Thank you for contacting Organic Valley and Organic Prairie, JL!

None of our cows are allowed to consume any GE Cropps or GMO grains as it is prohibited in the Organic Program.

It was irresponsible of Ronnie Cummins and the OCA to make these false and unsubstantiated allegations during a time when organic farmers need our support, and unity is more important than ever. We hope others investigate the facts before perpetuating this misinformation.

The family farmers of Organic Valley and Organic Prairie have not and will never knowingly or willingly utilize genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in any of our products, processes or feed. We have held this position since our inception in 1988.

To comment on the OCA article (dated January, 2011), and to set the record straight, we are not nor have we ever 'sold out' to Monsanto. In the past, we were at the table at the USDA, because that was where the battle was being fought, along with others in the organic community, like the Center for Food Safety, Whole Foods, Stonyfield, UNFI, and the National Coop Grocers Association. (For background on the GE alfalfa issue please visit, We Support an Organic Future | Stronger Together, and Background on the GE Alfalfa Issue | Stronger Together.)

On January 27, 2011, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced their decision to fully deregulate Roundup Ready Alfalfa for commercial sale. This decision impacts our food security, the diversity of our agricultural system and consumer choice. The issue is especially critical for the growing organic dairy sector, through which many farmers rely on organic alfalfa for feed. We are deeply disappointed with the USDA's decision.

Organic Valley/CROPP Cooperative strongly opposes GMOs. GMOs are a continued trend in industrial agriculture, pushing the small family farmer off the farm with cheaper food and more expensive on-farm costs. The safety of GMOs is highly questionable. Worse, there is no labeling of products that use GMOs, so consumers cannot make choices in the market place.

The USDA's decision can only renew our commitment to fight GMOs. This will be a life long struggle for many of us, and one that we can never give up on. We will continue to explore all available legal and regulatory actions we can take to protect organic farmers and consumers, and develop ways to maintain the integrity of our products given this new decision.

We hope you will take the time to read more about Organic Valley and our struggle to stop GMOs at, Organic Valley - Genetic Engineering - GMOs, and Organic Valley - GM Alfalfa: What's Happening Now and Organic Valley - David Meets GMO-liath: Get Your Sling Shots Ready.

Please visit our Newsroom to read "We Stand United In Opposition To GE Alfalfa", Organic Valley - WE STAND UNITED IN OPPOSITION TO GE ALFALFA. At the bottom of this article there are opportunities listed for consumer support and help. We hope you will stand by us as we continue this fight.

October 2011, Organic Valley farmers and staff joined marchers from across the country, walking 313 miles from NYC to the White House to demand labeling of all genetically modified foods, Right2Know March: Home. We believe we have a right to know what is in our food. Please watch the video at this link, | Genetically Engineered Foods/Tell FDA to Label, and sign on to petition the FDA.

We also supported the Prop 37/Right to Know campaign in California last year, with donations in access of $25,000.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
    Jessica Reyzek
    Organic Valley / Organic Prairie
    Consumer Relations Associate
    jessica.reyzek@organicvalley.com
    1-888-444-6455 x3298

Have you “Herd”?! It’s our 25th birthday and we want to celebrate with you! If you’re “moooo-ved” to join in, just let us know!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

diene is offline Senior Member
    In defense of Whole Foods: Their fresh sausages are delicious, and they will slice their grass-fed beef for you at no extra cost. So if you want to make grass-fed beef jerky but are too lazy or uncertain of your meat slicing abilities to slice it yourself, you can go to Whole Foods and have them slice it for you.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's a fine place if you write a list and know what you're looking for. The clever trap is when people want to vaguely "eat better" and end up with $200 worth of bean burgers and muesli.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast