Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bulletproof coffee is AMAZEBALLS! page 4

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I can't drink coffee, so I've never tried this. I hear a few people do bulletproof tea. I understand in Tibet they drink buttered tea with yak butter, which is not available locally.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    This was in my inbox this morning:

Should I Drink Bulletproof Coffee?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Geeknik is offline Member
    Just made myself some bulletproof tea with a tbsp of kerrygold butter, a tbsp of organic coconut oil and some stevia. It turned out better than expected.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    LMAO, cream breaks your fast but butter doesn't? It's calories that break your fast not the specific food!!!! Sorry to break this to you but 2 tablespoons of butter is breaking your fast ~200 calories.
    If you read the theory behind this on the Bulletproof executive site, "breaking the fast" in this case refers to the body's resoponse to fat, sugar, or protien. Pure fat in the absense of sugar or protein does not trigger the same response in the body which, according to the theory, allows you to remain in a "fasted" state while still consuming small amounts of fat calories (plus caffiene and the benefits of MCTs) for energy and mental clarity.

The real test is to try it and see. From personal experience, I can definitely feel a change when I consume carbs or protein during a fast, but fat, even without the caffiene and MCTs, does not move me out of that "fasted" state. If you go by a strict literal definition of fasting then sure, you are breaking the fast by consuming calories, but the focus should be on obtimizing the body's response or lack of response, not adhering to a textbook definition.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Some thoughts on the Bulletproof coffee:

Breaking a fast: Fernaldo is right. Yo hello folks, we're supposed to be FAT BURNERS, right? Therefore, FAT IS FOOD and CONSUMING FAT is breaking a fast. And no, it doesn't matter if the butter is melted.

A good compromise on the mixing method: Make the BP coffee at home with the blender put it in the fridge at work. Microwave to heat it, and then shake it up. Since it's been pre-blended, simple warming and shaking is enough to mix it again. I've made BPC the night before without losing much quality.

Any fair trade coffee will work. I think the butter is more important than the coffee. Use grass fed, and it's better if it's clarified.

Butter and heavy cream are NOT the same thing. Cream still has whey and milk. To make butter, you whip cream but then you have to squeeze out the watery milk and whey. Even the best butter has 10% milky stuff (which is why I clarify it).

eKatherine, can you have chocolate? You can make Bulletproof hot cocoa too. Just use cocoa powder and water instead of coffee. I've had some success with bulletproof tea too, best with a strong black tea.
    Last edited by oxide; 04-04-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    This was in my inbox this morning:

Should I Drink Bulletproof Coffee?
    I am actually very (pleasantly) surprised to see mainstream advice going along with what we all already know. I really did not expect that article to recommend that the person try it.

Just tried it with 2 tablespoons of ghee but I'm still very hungry... granted, I'm coming off of a major cheat day yesterday (ugh)... is it possible that's why the fat alone isn't satiating me?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    When a person wakes up in the morning his body burn stored body fat and glucose from glycogen. When drinking bulletproof coffee the body also starts to burn incoming fat from the butter and shut down on the burning of stored body fat. True story folks, when taking in dietary fat, less body fat will be burned from your bodies, if that’s the point!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    If you read the theory behind this on the Bulletproof executive site, "breaking the fast" in this case refers to the body's resoponse to fat, sugar, or protien. Pure fat in the absense of sugar or protein does not trigger the same response in the body which, according to the theory, allows you to remain in a "fasted" state while still consuming small amounts of fat calories (plus caffiene and the benefits of MCTs) for energy and mental clarity.

The real test is to try it and see. From personal experience, I can definitely feel a change when I consume carbs or protein during a fast, but fat, even without the caffiene and MCTs, does not move me out of that "fasted" state. If you go by a strict literal definition of fasting then sure, you are breaking the fast by consuming calories, but the focus should be on obtimizing the body's response or lack of response, not adhering to a textbook definition.
    The whole point of a fast is your body is drawing from stored fat and using it for energy. As soon as you eat something (carbs/fat/protein), this is no longer the case. The actual point to fasting is, wait for it, FASTING!!!! There is no such thing as partial fasting. You're not fasting.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    The whole point of a fast is your body is drawing from stored fat and using it for energy. As soon as you eat something (carbs/fat/protein), this is no longer the case. The actual point to fasting is, wait for it, FASTING!!!! There is no such thing as partial fasting. You're not fasting.
    You missed the entire point of what I wrote and the entire point of bulletproof fasting. Whether you call it fasting or not, consuming only small amounts of fat calories has drastically different effects than consuming any amount of protein or sugar calories.

Normally the point of fasting is to achieve something, not just fasting for the sake of the definition of fasting. This is a method to achieve something. If you aren't interested in that then don't do it. If you are interested but want to call it something else to preserve the precious definition of fasting, thats fine also.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast