Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is PBF the best choice if your really serious about getting stronger page

Vhs19 is offline Junior Member

Is PBF the best choice if your really serious about getting stronger

Primal Fuel
    Like serious serious. Like how boxers need to train to earn money and... sort like that.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It can certainly help, especially if you are starting from zero. I would think the pushups alone would be great for a boxer. But in my opinion, it's hard to beat barbell training in terms of "bang for your buck", especially if your primary goal is to get stronger.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Ask Bruce Lee
    Maybe not exactly PBF but not a hi tech gym rat.
    If you're looking for best, most efficient, training at an elite level, I'd think you would need a good trainer to make it specific for you.
    Last edited by Tom B-D; 04-03-2013 at 06:04 AM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree that barbel training is great for raw strength, like power lifting or olympic lifting. but if you want to do something with that strength, i think you need something like PBF or another bodyweight program or movnat where you are actually moving your body through space. i guess that's the whole idea behind crossfit.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Basically how it works is, you need to build a strength base. Once that has been developed, you transition into more sports specific training/conditioning. I think Starting Strength or Strong Lifts is a better program for strength development than PBF.

I love the simplicity/measurability of barbell training and the benefits gained by doing 4-5 core movements (with few accessories).
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhs19 View Post
    Like serious serious. Like how boxers need to train to earn money and... sort like that.
    PBF is an awesome program for general fitness and overall health.

I don't think it's the optimal program for getting strong. (and I don't think it's intended to be).

If you care about getting strong, or wonder why you should get strong, read this:

T NATION | Conditioning is a Sham

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Basically how it works is, you need to build a strength base. Once that has been developed, you transition into more sports specific training/conditioning. I think Starting Strength or Strong Lifts is a better program for strength development than PBF.

I love the simplicity/measurability of barbell training and the benefits gained by doing 4-5 core movements (with few accessories).
    Cross-posted. I agree with this.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    PBF is an awesome program for general fitness and overall health.

I don't think it's the optimal program for getting strong. (and I don't think it's intended to be).

If you care about getting strong, or wonder why you should get strong, read this:

T NATION | Conditioning is a Sham
    Yeah, read that.

That said, if you have no base of strength already, Starting Strength or Stronglifts or other similar basic barbell training might not be enough. For example, there is not a lot of variation in the movements doing the basic lifts. You never twist your core, for example. Only two of the lifts work your glutes and in my experience, if your glutes are weak you can somehow do them and not strengthen your glutes much at all. None of them will help you if your hamstrings are too tight and none of them will get you a pullup if you can't do one now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Vhs19 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the answers guys, Im really appreciated. But Im wondering is the body weight workout as good as weight lifting in this case?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast