Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is PBF the best choice if your really serious about getting stronger page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhs19 View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys, Im really appreciated. But Im wondering is the body weight workout as good as weight lifting in this case?
    How do you feel we've come up short in answering that question?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    No. Barbells are the best tool to get as strong as possible

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i agree that barbel training is great for raw strength, like power lifting or olympic lifting. but if you want to do something with that strength, i think you need something like PBF or another bodyweight program or movnat where you are actually moving your body through space. i guess that's the whole idea behind crossfit.
    Uhm, what? Would you mind explaining how "raw strength" from barbells is not usable?

...and what exactly you want to do with that strength that Movnat/CrossFit will allow?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Uhm, what? Would you mind explaining how "raw strength" from barbells is not usable?
    i think perhaps you missed what i was saying, or i didn't articulate it properly. my point is that raw strength is great, but being able to use that strength to move your own body through space is better. so, do deadlifts...but do pull ups and pushups or carry some rocks and logs too. strength should be about more than what you can do in the gym...just my opinion though.

my point is that raw strength is great, but being able to use that strength to move your own body through space is better. so, do deadlifts...but do pull ups and pushups or carry some rocks and logs too. strength should be about more than what you can do in the gym...just my opinion though.
    So you're saying that training my deadlift and squat is just for gym bragging rights but will not translate to me being able to lift and carry heavy stuff off the ground, such as a log? If we assume this for a second, what muscles involved in lifting something off the ground are neglected by the deadlift and how are these muscles trained better with other, especially bodyweight, exercises?

i think perhaps you missed what i was saying, or i didn't articulate it properly. my point is that raw strength is great, but being able to use that strength to move your own body through space is better. so, do deadlifts...but do pull ups and pushups or carry some rocks and logs too. strength should be about more than what you can do in the gym...just my opinion though.
    I think you're misguided about how general an adaptation strength actually is and therefore are confused about what the best way might be to stimulate that adaptation.

Kinnell is offline Member
    In order to progress with barbell training you have to learn to move with correct form. As such, compound barbell lifts train your body to move correctly - something that most of us have forgotten. You can do most bodyweight exercises with bad form and get away with it. On top of that, you can scale the load on barbells precisely which enables you to build strength far more efficiently than either performing bodyweight moves to fatigue or lifting rocks (unless your rocks increase in weight by 2.5 kg increments) . I agree that lifting rocks and logs is a far more useful skill than lifting a barbell, but you won't be able to lift awkward loads close to your limits safely until you have mastered the barbell dead lift. If you can't lift close to your limits, you will progress slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnell View Post
    In order to progress with barbell training you have to learn to move with correct form. As such, compound barbell lifts train your body to move correctly - something that most of us have forgotten. You can do most bodyweight exercises with bad form and get away with it. On top of that, you can scale the load on barbells precisely which enables you to build strength far more efficiently than either performing bodyweight moves to fatigue or lifting rocks (unless your rocks increase in weight by 2.5 kg increments) . I agree that lifting rocks and logs is a far more useful skill than lifting a barbell, but you won't be able to lift awkward loads close to your limits safely until you have mastered the barbell dead lift. If you can't lift close to your limits, you will progress slowly.
    Exactly. People forget that to be better at lifting heavy things - you have to actually lift heavy things. Your bodyweight isn't particularly heavy when it comes to a lot of bodyweight work, especially if you're young and healthy, and can only provide progress in strength for a brief period of time.

PrimalCon New York
    A lot of words to say the following: Strength is a general adaptation. And despite what your TV will tell you at 4 a.m., the barbell is still the best tool we have for increasing strength.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast