Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Vs. Atkins page 5

To those of you who transitioned from Atkins into Paleo...
    - did you notice additional weight loss after the switch?
    - what did you take away from/add to your diet after the switch?
    - did you see any other benefits from switching?

just curious... thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    Regarding Atkins, there's such a thing as giving the right advice for the wrong reason.
    Atkins' research and experience showed that the diet helped people lose weight and improve their health. And you're saying the the right reason was "GROK!"?

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Atkins' research and experience showed that the diet helped people lose weight and improve their health. And you're saying the the right reason was "GROK!"?
    I'm not sure how you got that out of anything I said.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Doesn't matter where you fall in the "carb wars" debate. Atkins was ahead of his time in many ways and influenced health and thinking on health in a positive manner.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    I'm not sure how you got that out of anything I said.
    You said Atkins was right for the wrong reasons. His reasons were research and experience, but it sounds like nothing short of coming up with the original concept of paleo would have fit your bill.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    You said Atkins was right for the wrong reasons. His reasons were research and experience, but it sounds like nothing short of coming up with the original concept of paleo would have fit your bill.
    The 'concept of paleo' can also just be a narrative that is 'right for the wrong reasons'.

So, you can both be wrong?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 04-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

janie is offline Senior Member
    I have to wonder what you purpose is, Maurile, in trying to discredit Atkins. Your quoting of Guyenet's theorizing is simply more theory and proves nothing. Again, experience trumps theory. I don't need to understand WHY Atkins worked nor WHY low fat didn't. I just know that Atkins worked for me after years and years and years of trying the CW nonsense, and even your Guyenet admits that, so what's the point?
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminokamen View Post
    I've been reading the 21 Day Transformation and, I'm fighting ADHD, so I don't retain a lot, due to constantly daydreaming and not being focused, but I've read that it is a no grain diet with carbs from fruits and veggies I guess? So, I guess it isn't, but he is relating that grains have a buttload of carbs, so it becomes a low carb diet, but I guess I need to compensate with more fruits and veggies?
    Or you can eat some rice and sweet potatoes, even white potatoes if they work for you. I tend to be on the lower carb end but I eat sweet potatoes sometimes.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Happy to answer, ForgotMyOldUsername. Atkins starts at the induction level of 25 net carbs. I lost weight without being hungry for the first time in so many years I cannot count them. There is a structure for adding back foods and increasing carb intake until one finds a level where they can continue to lose and ultimately maintain their loss. Likely due to my age and all the stupid advice I've followed from the medical community, I was not able to move thru that list very fast. Basically I ate meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, almost every vegetable except the starchy ones and lower carb fruits, good fats and occasional dairy. I find now -- sev'l years after reaching and maintaining my loss -- that my body has made some sort of adjustment. I can add back starchy vegetables and small amounts of white rice without problem, although in the past I gained when I experimented with those foods. So basically, my diet is the same with those additions. I occasionally used low carb products in the past but eliminated them entirely when I moved to what I call Paleo-Atkins.
    Last edited by janie; 04-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, his reason (i.e., proposed mechanism) was that carb consumption promotes insulin, which promotes fat-storage. That's not really correct in a meaningful (as opposed to superficial) sense.

The actual reasons that carb-restriction promotes weight loss are generally too complicated to describe in one sentence, but they seem to include effects on leptin signaling, bodyweight set point, and food reward. To take one example, your body has a natural feedback system that, when it's functioning correctly, causes you to feel hungrier in response to fat loss, and causes a reduced appetite in response to fat gain. The overall effect is to keep your weight generally stable. This feedback system, however, can be thrown off by foods that are highly palatable, high in calories, and low in micronutrients, fiber, and water content. Such foods can magnify your hunger in response to fat loss, and blunt any reduction in appetite in response to fat gain. Note that I've just described most highly processed, manufactured foods — most of which contain substantial added sugar and would be excluded by Atkins for that reason. The elimination of these foods goes a long way toward making weight loss easier, but not for the reason that Dr. Atkins thought. It's not simply because of their carb content. (If carbs were inherently fattening, the potato-diet woudln't work so well.)

That's just one example; there are other reasons, too, why the Atkins diet is helpful for weight loss. But the reasons that the Atkins diet actually works, and the reasons that Dr. Atkins hypothesized that it works, do not perfectly overlap. He was wrong about some of the reasons.
    Last edited by maurile; 04-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast