Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Vs. Atkins page 4

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I, too, came to Primal via Atkins--when I found that the only change I needed to make was to give up my organic peanut butter.

I never ate 'products'--always whole foods, and I eventually gave up all grains and dairy (except butter) as I checked how I felt best.

What I owe to Dr. Atkins is awareness of my extreme carb sensitivity--which kept me obese for most of my life. When I first read his work, I followed his advice to find one's CCL (critical carb level), and for me, it was barely 25g a day. Forty years later, I tried again, and I still have the same degree of carb sensitivity.

However, I thrive at this low carb level and realize it is healthiest for me personally.

Most people who 'do Atkins' are simply looking for quick weight loss and most of them don't even read the plan. Atkins himself knew a lot about obesity and nutrition. It's too bad that the Atkins industry has deteriorated over time.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    See the little phrases go.
    Watch their funny antics.
    The men who make them wiggle so
    Are teachers of semantics.

The words go up the words go round
    And make a great commotion.
    But all that lies behind the sound
    Is hebetude boeotian.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    You need to do a bit more reading up on basic biochemistry before we can even debate the role and degree to which insulin plays in this.
    Taubes will be the first to tell you that he's not taken seriously by dietary "experts" with fancy-pants biochemistry degrees. Expertise in biochemistry is inversely related to acceptance of the "carbs drive insulin drives bodyfat" hypothesis. (The reason Taubes would give for the inverse relationship is different from the reason the biochemistry PhDs would give, but either way, reading up on biochemistry is not going to steer anyone towards acceppting the low-carb hypothesis about "the role and degree to which insulin plays in this.")

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Everyone dies! Better stop doing that whole breathing eating living thing we all do. Might result in DEATH. Duhn duhn DuuuUUDHDHDndndnngg.

:P

Sorry, I'm too cheerful right now.

janie is offline Senior Member
    I always find it amusing that the theorists who dislike Atkins want to argue with the people who actually followed his plan and lost weight and got healthier.

Real life experience trumps theory.

Like others who posted previously, my weight loss success is rooted in Atkins which adapted to Primal quite easily. Dr. Atkins was a forward thinker and his work was a huge gift to me as I had struggled with my weight all my life.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I always find it amusing that the theorists who dislike Atkins want to argue with the people who actually followed his plan and lost weight and got healthier.

Real life experience trumps theory.

Like others who posted previously, my weight loss success is rooted in Atkins which adapted to Primal quite easily. Dr. Atkins was a forward thinker and his work was a huge gift to me as I had struggled with my weight all my life.
    Sincere congratulations on the weight loss!

Regarding Atkins, there's such a thing as giving the right advice for the wrong reason. Restricting carbs can result in much easier weight loss than trying to directly restrict calories instead. There are a number of reasons for that. None of those reasons, however, are the Atkins-Taubes explanation that "carbs —> insulin —> bodyfat."

Atkins (low carb) and Ornish (low fat) are very similar, IMO. By advocating restricted carbs, the Atkins diet appropriately cut out candy, soda, and other sugar-filled treats. By advocating restricted fat, the Ornish diet appropriately cut out fried foods and anything else made with toxic vegetable oil. Moreover, both diets cut out the most truly terrible foods — chips, donuts, cake, milkshakes, Oreos, etc. — since the truly most terrible foods tend to have plenty of both fat and carbs. But both diets were in some sense overly restrictive. By restricting fat, the Ornish diet punished perfectly healthful foods like egg yolks, butter, and rib-eye steaks. And by restricting carbs, the Atkins diet punished perfectly healthful foods like potatoes.

Both got a lot of stuff right and a lot of stuff wrong. Somebody asked what Atkins got wrong. I previously gave a one-sentence summary; here's a slightly longer (but still very short) summary: Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination.
    Last edited by maurile; 04-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    Atkins (low carb) and Ornish (low fat) are very similar, IMO. By advocating restricted carbs, the Atkins diet appropriately cut out candy, soda, and other sugar-filled treats. By advocating restricted fat, the Ornish diet appropriately cut out fried foods and anything else made with toxic vegetable oil. Moreover, both diets cut out the most truly terrible foods — chips, donuts, cake, milkshakes, Oreos, etc. — since the truly most terrible foods tend to have plenty of both fat and carbs. But both diets were in some sense overly restrictive. By restricting fat, the Ornish diet punished perfectly healthful foods like egg yolks, butter, and rib-eye steaks. And by restricting carbs, the Atkins diet punished perfectly healthful foods like potatoes.

Both got a lot of stuff right and a lot of stuff wrong. Somebody asked what Atkins got wrong. I previously gave a one-sentence summary; here's a slightly longer (but still very short) summary: Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination.
    Good points. However, I would like to clarify white, sweet potatoes, carrots and literally all fruit as well, are perfectly acceptable foods on Atkins.
    OTH, as far as I know Ornish never allows steak to be added back in to the diet, ever.

Geeknik is offline Member
    I've never done the Atkins diet but I'm not gonna lie, I like to drink the Atkins Mocha latte shake as a replacement for a Starbuck's Frappuccino.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    gah double post

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    Taubes will be the first to tell you that he's not taken seriously by dietary "experts" with fancy-pants biochemistry degrees. Expertise in biochemistry is inversely related to acceptance of the "carbs drive insulin drives bodyfat" hypothesis. (The reason Taubes would give for the inverse relationship is different from the reason the biochemistry PhDs would give, but either way, reading up on biochemistry is not going to steer anyone towards acceppting the low-carb hypothesis about "the role and degree to which insulin plays in this.")
    I didn't say get the opinions of a bunch of CW minded "experts" did I? Look up a textbook or something. Like I said if you don't think Insulin is a major player in fat mobilization and storage, and the fact that this process can be disordered in certain individuals, then we can't even begin to debate about anything further. Seriously, it's Bichem 101!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast