Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Vs. Atkins page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Enough information about the Atkins diet is available for free on their website so that anybody could do it without ever buying a single product, even a book. Most people who discuss it and many who try it (or who think they are trying it) are entirely unfamiliar with its principles, not just the carb ratio targets for different phases but the part about eating enough vegetables. You run into this all the time on diet forums. I don't see any reason why someone who knows nothing about the Atkins diet would take part in an argument based on the fact that Dr. Atkins didn't end up being immortal.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Here's what I ate yesterday. Tell me if this is full of cholesterol or meets any of the crazy ideas anybody has about paleo being full of fat or lacking in carbs.

Breakfast:
    Coffee
    Cauliflower
    Can of salmon with skin and bones

Lunch:
    Sweet potato
    Grilled chicken
    Rooster sauce

Snack:
    Chocolate (some white, some dark)

Dinner:
    Smoked trout with skin
    Cheese
    Banana/egg/almond butter "muffin"
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminokamen View Post
    Hey I'm talking with my roommate, and due to my limited knowledge of Paleo, he is saying that I should stop because it is like the Atkins diet and the guy died
    Everyone dies. Even people who eat right.

(Atkins died of head injuries)

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Angel, Noodleoy and eKatherine said it best.

I came here form an Atkins background as well. And yes, Atkins and Paleo ane not at all mutually exclusive. You can make both woes as similar or as different as you like.
    IMO the reason Atkins has acquired somewhat of a bad name over the years is based on the many misconceptions. Many, many people who say they "have done Atkins" have basically only done the Induction VLC phase and eventually gotten bored and quit. Even worse, others say they "have done the Atkins diet" by gorging on meats, butter, eggs and cheese and nothing else. That's not what Atkins is. There are 4 phases to it for a good reason. People are supposed to gradually add carbs from whole foods till they find their level of carb tolerance. And some allowed foods such as legumes are purely optional. Same goes for artificial sweeteners. No one has to have those either.

I lost all of my excess weight on the initial 2 Atkins phases. I like the structure of the diet.
    On the other hand I find Paleo/Primal optimal for maintenance and I love the only whole foods approach and the emphasis on fitness.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    The same principles that Atkins relies on are detailed on this website; however, there appear to be plenty of people around here who reject this concept (CICO4evr, no added weight loss benefit from VLC or ketosis).

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaminokamen View Post
    ANYWAY! He is claiming that those on low carb diets are more weak and fragile because carbs = energy, and with less, you aren't as good as we have learned to be.
    Tell this person to meet me for a workout session. He/she won't survive one of my "normal" workouts.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Angel0 View Post
    What was he wrong about?
    The idea that bodyfat-storage is driven by insulin, which is driven by carbs.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    The idea that bodyfat-storage is driven by insulin, which is driven by carbs.
    You need to do a bit more reading up on basic biochemistry before we can even debate the role and degree to which insulin plays in this.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    Banting and Atkins and Taubes have nothing to do with Paleolithinc nutrition.

Also, regarding "Atkins was right" . . . right about what? Like most people, he was right about a lot of stuff and wrong about a lot of stuff.
    What's you're deal?

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    What's you're deal?
    Accuracy.

None of Banting, Atkins, or Taubes ever claimed to come at this from a paleo angle. Banting and Atkins were before paleo was a thing, and Taubes never uses evolutionary reasoning in his books.

Banting, Atkins, and Taubes are low-carb, while paleo is not. I mean, it can be; but it can also be low-fat. Paleo isn't about macronutrient ratios. There's a huge difference in the diets of modern "primitive" people, from the high-fat diet of the traditional Eskimos to the high-carb diet of the traditional Kitavans, and the same was very likely true of ancient primitive people. If anything, the Eskimos appear to be the outliers. Most of human history occurred near the equator, where diets were likely very high in carbohydrate content in the form of tubers and fruits. Grok did not follow Atkins.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast