Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega-3 blood levels among older adults page

HayMaker is offline Junior Member

Omega-3 blood levels among older adults

Primal Fuel
    Man I hate fish, but I may have to figure out how to get over that. This study by Harvard School of Public Health and University of Washington indicates that the biggest improvements were found in those going from 0 to 400mg per day. I should be a good candidate.

Omega-3 Levels in older adults
    The question is, are you going to die sitting on the sofa - or doing something interesting?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Love fish. Now you just need to find someone who prepares fish well and have her/him teach you. You could theoretically live off of canned fish, but fresh is really lovely when done correctly.

Also, how can you hate salmon?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    The trick to fish in my opinion. Don't overcook it. I leave the fish a little raw in the center and then leave it tented under foil and let the residual heat finish it. Not much worse than over done fish.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I love fish - if it is REALLY FRESH. You can tell, because it is firm, bright eyed and doesn't smell. Older fish, on the other hand, smells too "fishy" and doesn't taste as good. I'm fortunate, I live near enough to the sea to get freshly caught fish and I can freeze that.

But for someone who doesn't like fish, you need to mask the flavour / smell. Do you like Thai food? A green curry with some fresh fish pieces cooked in that will make a delicious meal. Grilled over charcoal with lots of fresh herbs - dill or thyme or tarragon are good with fish - is very good. And well flavoured fish cakes can disguise the taste of fish really well too! Herring roes (milts) tossed in paprika and fried in butter are good in a salad. Then there are prawns (shrimp), mussels, crab etc - all count as great sources of omega 3 and loads of minerals and vitamins.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I could eat raw fish for the rest of my days and be perfectly happy. If only sashimi weren't so darned expensive. /sob

Cooked fish...meh. But for me, there's no beating the sweetness and buttery mouthfeel of a good, fatty piece of raw fish. And I'm a former vegetarian.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Of course to get omega-3 you need to eat oily fish from cold water. You won't get much omega-3 from tilapia fillets.

HayMaker is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the responses. For me the biggest turnoff is usually the smell. My wife really loves Halibut and Salmon, I guess I need to start letting her cook it indoors and get used to it. The fresh fish thing might be tough since I live about as far inland as you can in the US -- 1,500 miles to either SoCal or Houston.
    The question is, are you going to die sitting on the sofa - or doing something interesting?

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Start with a milder fish like the Halibut, or some cod. Jumping right into Salmon, especially if you can't get it really fresh, is a recipe for never getting used to fish. Milder fish is usually a little more tolerant of overcooking also.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    If you have a smoker, salmon is excellent hot-smoked for a couple of hours...

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    Of course to get omega-3 you need to eat oily fish from cold water. You won't get much omega-3 from tilapia fillets.
    Really? That's lame. Tilapia's my favorite fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast