Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does binge-eating fruit trigger an "EAT MOAR SUGAR" mentality? page

fcby9 is offline Senior Member

Why does binge-eating fruit trigger an "EAT MOAR SUGAR" mentality?

Primal Fuel
    I'm an 18-year-old college student and I've found that my go-to coping mechanism is to EAT. (I've fallen culprit to the Freshman 15, since starting school in October...) I don't go for the worst offender (wheat), but I find that my first "weakness" is multiple pieces of fruit for every meal. It's not uncommon for me to eat 4 freakin' whole oranges after dinner, plus a Larabar (or 2). I understand that binge-eating fruit and "gluten-free" bars (brown rice syrup-laden, ugh!) isn't the worst thing that I could do, but it's making me gain weight on top of the gargantuan amount I've already gained since starting school.

This problem wasn't severe in high school. I've found that the freedom of college life is conducive to boredom eating/compulsive eating.

Should I try doing a sugar detox? Does this sound like an addiction to fruit/"healthy" bars? Should I force myself to do a very low-carb (meat, veg, water, no caffeine/sugar) deal for a week? For those who have overcome something like this, do you have some tricks up your sleeve? I'm wondering if I should seek help.

I'm about 30 lbs overweight. I'm otherwise a very happy person, but on the inside I know something is wrong with me.

Thanks so much, Primal veterans! I admire you all for committing to this (matchless) lifestyle.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    You don't need a detox, you need to consciously not put the food in your face hole. Nothing is wrong with you other than your lack of self-control (tough love, kid)

Don't eat the fruit. Finish your meal and learn to be satisfied with the nutrients you just took in.

And there are complex physiological processes explaining why we get hungry after binge eating, but no need to go into them really. All you need to do is teach yourself some self-control. It's easier than it seems. (I've been in your position- I'm a fourth year college student myself.)
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

fcby9 is offline Senior Member
    @ bdilla: I KNOW you're right. It's really all about self control and forcing yourself to focus on your work instead of going on some wild fruit chase in the convenience store.

I've heard that L-Glutamine and Chromium Picolinate are helpful at curbing sugar cravings, but I don't know if I need them.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    You may want to do a forum search for leptin reset - this hormone plays a significant role in appetite and glycolytic/fatty acid metabolism. I'd also suggest that, for a few weeks, you try doing VLC every day, until your bodies' systems adjust to the shift to having more ketone bodies than glucose available for energy use.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Sugar, is sugar, is sugar.

Whether it is bound up with healthy nutrients or taken plain (table sugar, et all.) it still has the same effect on your body. Some people tolerate it better than others do.

Self-control is a major part of it as many will tell you. Or, alternatively, you can do what a lot of people do which is simply avoid it (yes even from fruit) if it causes binges to avoid these issues.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Sugar, is sugar, is sugar.
    this.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Zach is offline Banned
    Uhhh, i highly doubt its the fruit making you fat. You drink? What else you eat besides fruit and larabars?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I crave fruit if my activity level outpaces my starch consumption--adding a little tuber/squash to dinner will fix it. I agree if there's a specific food preoccupation, it's wise to go 7~30 days without it to get back into the driver's seat.

I avoid Larabars and other dried fruit--the energy density is just a little too high and fails to flip the satiety switch.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Your issues are psychological. No amount of leptin resets,cold thermogenesis protocols or one handed push ups while drinking wild peruvian ginseng tea is likely to help much. Although If you have problems with certain foods don't blame the foods. Everyone has their own triggers. I have problems with dairy that can make me compulsive, but I don't point the finger of blame at dairy

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Yes, stuffing your face with fruit can make you fat. Especially if you are already fat (being fat proves you don't do well with sugar).

Therefore you should stop doing sugar (fruit).

That means sugar detox. It will suck.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast