Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does binge-eating fruit trigger an "EAT MOAR SUGAR" mentality? page 3

fcby9 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My Battle With Binge Eating
    ^Because people saying you lack "willpower" piss me off. It's not so simple.

It sounds like you are not eating enough. Magnolia's suggestions are good. Do you have a microwave in your dorm room, or in your dormitory?

Consider this: if you do not eat enough, your body is starved of nutrients. This can induce binge behavior with any manner of food items because your system is desperate for something.
    (Read "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross)
    Thank you, Namelesswonder. I was honestly worrying that something was wrong with me, or that it was purely a lack of discipline that causes me to act this way!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's easy to blame people with food issues for "psychological problems" or tag them as "emotional eaters". But it's not productive in any way. Now we have tens of millions of overweight or obese women (if not more) who have been told they are helpless to change their way of eating, because it's a disorder that is an essential part of them. Most of these women are so starved nutritionally from all the junk they are eating that they would binge because of the least little trigger, or even none at all. And I have run into a lot of women who binge with no emotional trigger, yet they accept this as proof they are emotional eaters. Because they read it online.

But they know that there's nothing they can do about it short of spending a fortune and years going from psychologist to psychologist and clinic to clinic to get to the root of their "psychological disorders".

Address their bad SAD eating habits or the dieting that has caused much of their problems? Nope. It's "psychological". End of story.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

It's "psychological". End of story.
    because there's a pill for that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I agree with the other women here that if you are "bingeing" on fruit that maybe you are not psychologically damaged but hungry. When I initially went on this diet I ate a lot of cream, sour cream and butter and was shocked that my preoccupation with food vanished. I am convinced now that the way women are taught is "proper" to eat basically malnourishes them.

You are a college student. You may have free or reduced-price access to the gym, to plays and lectures, to talks and discussions. Go out there and take advantage of all that. You are so lucky!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    I don't go for the worst offender (wheat), but I find that my first "weakness" is multiple pieces of fruit for every meal. It's not uncommon for me to eat 4 freakin' whole oranges after dinner, plus a Larabar (or 2). I understand that binge-eating fruit and "gluten-free" bars (brown rice syrup-laden, ugh!) isn't the worst thing that I could do, but it's making me gain weight on top of the gargantuan amount I've already gained since starting school.
    Huh?

In what world is 4 oranges "binge eating?" Also, Larabars do not contain brown rice syrup or any additives. They are solely nuts and fruit.

If your Achilles Heel is fruit and nuts, you are doing GREAT. I think your problem is you're trying to adhere to that stupid abomination known as "The Carbohydrate Curve." Let's get one thing clear - glucose is MORE ESSENTIAL than fat. Your body has evolved ways to create glucose out of tissue even in the absence of any carbohydrate at all. You need virtually no fat daily to survive, but you need 50-200g of glucose daily, even in full blown ketosis. You are likely having sugar cravings because your body wants carbs but you're not giving it what it needs (too much fat, not enough carbs) so it's giving you strong cravings. Reduce your fat intake and embrace fruits. You may very well perform better on a lower fat/higher carbohydrate Primal Blueprint eating plan, especially being a young kid in college. The younger you are, the higher your glucose needs!

Don't take this as some high fat/low carb diet. Fruit sugar is healthier than fat anyway - it causes less oxidative stress on your body because you're avoiding the inherent PUFA content of fats. You're doing a great job, just stop stressing. Just focus on whole foods. It doesn't matter if it's eggs and steak or fruits and tubers!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I went through numerous cycles of trying to stop eating fruit, basically the only sugar I eat. And it made me depressed, miserable AND induced binges. I settled for eating good things that taste good, which includes fruit. I eat less vegetables, more fruit and no artificial or pre-digested foods (like larabars, dry fruit or nut butters). I am not going throuygh the cycles of not eating fruit and being miserable, and then eating it by a bucket and crying rivers feeling like a failure. I eat about 5-8 cups of fruit a day, maybe a couple of cups of veggies, and the rest are relatively lean meats/fish, whey protein and egg whites with a touch of eggs. I also take a tablespoon of oil a day.

Yes, I gained weight since I stopped starving and depriving myself, but I stopped being a bundle of misery trying to straight-jacket myself into eating fat and meat with greens, while my family feasted on fruit-plates.

It helps to limit the choice of fruit in the house. Right now I try to keep to oranges, grapefruits and strawberries/blackberries. I always buy tons of cranberry when it is sold in the winter and use it in smoothies as the lowest carb available among fruit, and I LOVE the flavor. I try not to eat super-sweet fruit too often, but I also have a preference for sour fruity taste anyway.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've had times when the citrus was really tasty and 4 oranges were not enough. But 6 or 8 were.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    My lunch today is pork chili made of pork loin, tomatillos and poblano peppers and powdered beef gelatin with 2 big oranges and 2 hard boiled duck eggs. I wish I would have brought 2 more oranges!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

fcby9 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I agree with the other women here that if you are "bingeing" on fruit that maybe you are not psychologically damaged but hungry. When I initially went on this diet I ate a lot of cream, sour cream and butter and was shocked that my preoccupation with food vanished. I am convinced now that the way women are taught is "proper" to eat basically malnourishes them.

You are a college student. You may have free or reduced-price access to the gym, to plays and lectures, to talks and discussions. Go out there and take advantage of all that. You are so lucky!
    Your reply put a smile on my face, Sbhikes. On another note, thank you very much for your message! I implemented some of new exercise tips based on your experience.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    this.
    Agreed!

Some people have no problem with fruit, but for some people it can trigger binges just as candy and french fries can.

This is true for me. I have to be very careful with fruit, and make sure to eat it in controlled amounts, and stop my self from polishing off the whole bag of cherries or eating 3 bowls of strawberries (no, I don't add any table sugar to sweeten).
    That's not to say fruit isn't healthy. It is, but it's pretty much standard for people to always put fruit and vegetables together: "Eat your fruit and veg", "A healthy diet is low in fat and includes lot of fruit and vegetables", "Americans don't eat enough fruit and vegetables.", "The government recommends a minimum of 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day"
    It's almost like in our vocabulary it's one word, rather than two/three.

Well they should really not be put together, because they aren't equal. Most non-starchy vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, can pretty much be eaten in unlimited amounts because they're low sugar, fat, and calories.
    Fruit not as much. Yes, fruit is low in fat and has less sugar and calories than say chocolate, but many fruits (with the exception of things like avocado and tomatoes) are still high sugar foods.
    And, yes, for many people sugar, even naturally occurring, unrefined sugar, can trigger binges.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast