Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does binge-eating fruit trigger an "EAT MOAR SUGAR" mentality? page 2

fcby9 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I have problems with dairy that can make me compulsive, but I don't point the finger of blame at dairy
    @ Forgot: I acknowledge that it's a psychological issue. I mean, I acknowledge that even as it happens. But would you say that the way you combated your compulsive problems with dairy was by avoiding it for the most part?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Uhhh, i highly doubt its the fruit making you fat. You drink? What else you eat besides fruit and larabars?
    I don't drink. At all. These are my meals for the day, for the most part (I eat all 3 in the dining hall - mandatory meal plan):
    B: 3 hardboiled eggs, 3-4 turkey sausage links
    L: Green salad w/ cherry tomatoes, 1-2 pieces chicken breast/beef patties, maybe a hardboiled egg.
    D: Similar to lunch, maybe a steamed veggie entree

I have fruit with every meal, usually, especially at dinner.

Because of the meal plan, I'm sure I'm downing some bad oils, the meat isn't grass-fed or top quality, and there are aren't many sources of good fats. But I make do!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcby9 View Post
    @ Forgot: I acknowledge that it's a psychological issue. I mean, I acknowledge that even as it happens. But would you say that the way you combated your compulsive problems with dairy was by avoiding it for the most part?
    No I avoid it because of skin issues. If I didn't have a problem in that area I'd still eat it, but I'd only buy it in moderation and eat it at certain times

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    I don't drink. At all. These are my meals for the day, for the most part (I eat all 3 in the dining hall - mandatory meal plan):
    L: Green salad w/ cherry tomatoes, 1-2 pieces chicken breast/beef patties, maybe a hardboiled egg.

I have fruit with every meal, usually, especially at dinner.

Because of the meal plan, I'm sure I'm downing some bad oils, the meat isn't grass-fed or top quality, and there are aren't many sources of good fats. But I make do!
    your meals sound like the end-result is very lean. you might be binging on sugar because you actually need protein and fat. stop being phobic about real food.

gaaah,that turkey sausage is a crime against humanity.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I think you need more calories. What you're eating sounds nearly like Faleo.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Why not add some starch- potato, sweet potato or rice? And maybe some fat. And keep the fruit.

Off the top of my head, you aren't eating anough calories. Your breakfast- maybe 400 calories, lunch- maybe 300 if the chicken pieces are big. Dinner, the same. No wonder you ate 4 oranges, you are still hungry!

Add in some starch and some fat. Except dining hall fat probably is not the right fat. Maybe buy some kerrygold and microwave a sweet potato and have that with some butter as a snack. Get some olive oil for your salads.

Your problem is not fruit- it's a lack of calories. Give yourself some fat and starch!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My Battle With Binge Eating
    ^Because people saying you lack "willpower" piss me off. It's not so simple.

It sounds like you are not eating enough. Magnolia's suggestions are good. Do you have a microwave in your dorm room, or in your dormitory?

Consider this: if you do not eat enough, your body is starved of nutrients. This can induce binge behavior with any manner of food items because your system is desperate for something.
    (Read "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross)
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    For reference- I have lost about 40 lbs in a little over a year. I am a 5'6 female. Work out hard 3-4 days a week, some typical meals:
    Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in butter, 2 pieces of bacon, banana, coffee with coconut milk
    Lunch: brocolli slaw with 6-8 ounces of lean beef or chicken tossed with 1-2T of vinegarette (olive oil based)
    Dinner- 6-8 ounce portion of meat, small sweet potato, butter, green vegetable, orange

OR
    Breakfast- Protein shake comes out to 350-400 calories, coffee with coconut milk
    Lunch- 2 boiled eggs, 4-6 ounces roast beef, orange
    Dinner- giant salad with 6-8 ounces meat, avocado, 1-2T olive oil based vinegarette, piece of chocolate

Your meals should feel substantial and rounded with carbs, protein and fat.

How I would amend yours meals:
    B: 3 hardboiled eggs, 3-4 turkey sausage links- add a piece of fruit- banana, orange and consider having eggs scrambled in butter but that is probably not an option so maybe also have a cup of coffee with heavy cream or tea with heavy cream
    L: Green salad w/ cherry tomatoes, 1-2 pieces chicken breast/beef patties, maybe a hardboiled egg. Carry some olive oil or buy a good quality olive oil based dressing for your salad. If your school has good, real cheese throw on some cheese
    D: Similar to lunch, maybe a steamed veggie entree- Grab 2-3 pieces of grilled meat and make a small salad and dress with your olive oil. Throw in a sweet potato or some plain steamed rice or even a regular old potato (small). Find some real butter. Have a piece of fruit or some dark chocolate

It's not easy eating in a cafeteria. Cut yourself some slack if you binge on fruit or have a bit to much dark chocolate. LOL, considering your classmates are probably binging on pizza and beer, eating 4 oranges is no big deal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    For reference- I have lost about 40 lbs in a little over a year. I am a 5'6 female. Work out hard 3-4 days a week, some typical meals:
    Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in butter, 2 pieces of bacon, banana, coffee with coconut milk
    Lunch: brocolli slaw with 6-8 ounces of lean beef or chicken tossed with 1-2T of vinegarette (olive oil based)
    Dinner- 6-8 ounce portion of meat, small sweet potato, butter, green vegetable, orange

OR
    Breakfast- Protein shake comes out to 350-400 calories, coffee with coconut milk
    Lunch- 2 boiled eggs, 4-6 ounces roast beef, orange
    Dinner- giant salad with 6-8 ounces meat, avocado, 1-2T olive oil based vinegarette, piece of chocolate

Your meals should feel substantial and rounded with carbs, protein and fat.

How I would amend yours meals:
    B: 3 hardboiled eggs, 3-4 turkey sausage links- add a piece of fruit- banana, orange and consider having eggs scrambled in butter but that is probably not an option so maybe also have a cup of coffee with heavy cream or tea with heavy cream
    L: Green salad w/ cherry tomatoes, 1-2 pieces chicken breast/beef patties, maybe a hardboiled egg. Carry some olive oil or buy a good quality olive oil based dressing for your salad. If your school has good, real cheese throw on some cheese
    D: Similar to lunch, maybe a steamed veggie entree- Grab 2-3 pieces of grilled meat and make a small salad and dress with your olive oil. Throw in a sweet potato or some plain steamed rice or even a regular old potato (small). Find some real butter. Have a piece of fruit or some dark chocolate

It's not easy eating in a cafeteria. Cut yourself some slack if you binge on fruit or have a bit to much dark chocolate. LOL, considering your classmates are probably binging on pizza and beer, eating 4 oranges is no big deal.
    Magnolia, thank you so much for this example meal plan! I was really lost until I saw all you guys' advice. This means a lot to me -- I really appreciate it!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Your issues are psychological. No amount of leptin resets,cold thermogenesis protocols or one handed push ups while drinking wild peruvian ginseng tea is likely to help much. Although If you have problems with certain foods don't blame the foods. Everyone has their own triggers. I have problems with dairy that can make me compulsive, but I don't point the finger of blame at dairy
    +1

As someone with a long history of binging and restricting who kicked it, four pieces of fruit and a larabar is not binge-eating. It's a sign that you probably need more fruit in your life.

When my diet was the strictest, my desires to binge were the worst. When I decided that I could have as much good sugar (which meant fruit, honey, can sugar, maple syrup, molasses but NO high-fructose corn syrup), I stopped wanting it. For me, thinking that I can't have something makes me obsessed with wanting it.

This problem wasn't severe in high school. I've found that the freedom of college life is conducive to boredom eating/compulsive eating.

Should I try doing a sugar detox? Does this sound like an addiction to fruit/"healthy" bars? Should I force myself to do a very low-carb (meat, veg, water, no caffeine/sugar) deal for a week?

Your idea to 'force yourself to do low carb' sounds like some kind of self-flagellation. Healthy living shouldn't be a punishment. Since you blame your compulsive eating on boredom, maybe the solution is to find some interesting fun things to do; get involved in some groups, explore, try some new things.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 04-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast