Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why moderate protein? page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Also, high protein means lower fat which means less fat soluble vitamins. Your fat sources need to be very good in terms of vitamins in that case. Eg grass-fed dairy and animal fat rather than coconut oil. Much easier to eat fatty meat, which moderates your protein intake
    Actually, veggies provide a LOT of fat soluable vitamins and minerals. This is why cooking them in coconut oil or dousing them in an avacado or olive oil dressing or even just eating them alongside a fatty cut of meat (untrimmed steak over your salad anyone?) increases the bioavailability of the nutrients.

oopie is offline Junior Member
    "Ammonia toxicity is a problem when protein intake exceeds ~200g / day. Which most people don't even come close to hitting, particularly if you are eating to satiety. "
    Looking at my records I see I am usually around 200 grams a day, with one day this week at 307 grams. I'll be more careful about that.
    Staying in ketosis is not important to me, although I am enjoying the even energy level I've had since I started eating primal.
    Grass fed beef is actually part of why my protein is so high. I've ordered from U.S. Wellness and I have trouble not eating an entire package once its thawed. That stuff is really good. Added to the seafood I've been craving and the eggs for breakfast 1.5 lb of beef heart will get my protein above 200 easy. I've been feeling good so I needed a reason to give up some of my meat for some veggies.
    Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by oopie; 04-03-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Opine, I can eat a pound of ground beef, seven eggs, and plus whatever residual protein from veggies/other and still only get around 135 grams of protein that day. How big are the packages you are eating?

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    I eat high protein, usually 1-1.5% of my LBM. And every so often, i hit about 200 g/day, usually when i eat something like heart. I figure that my body is trying to get healthy after decades and decades of CW. If i feel great and want the meat, I eat it. In time, I suspect my desire for meat will slow down, but for now, it's healing. As for fat, I simply cannot get that 60-70% so many people reach: i have all kinds of stomach problems trying to do that. But my fat is usually around 35-45%, so it's not like i'm low fat.
    Your body will tell you. All the threads end up saying it: "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

oopie is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Opine, I can eat a pound of ground beef, seven eggs, and plus whatever residual protein from veggies/other and still only get around 135 grams of protein that day. How big are the packages you are eating?
    A pound and a half of beef heart is 193 grams by itself. 9 medium oysters is 45 g. Add 6 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon and you get 307 g.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12