Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies: re skincare: over-the-counter retinol? Glycolic acid? Opinions? page

janie is online now Senior Member

Ladies: re skincare: over-the-counter retinol? Glycolic acid? Opinions?

Primal Fuel
    Have you used any of these OTC products? Any you'd recommend? I wonder if they are effective or if prescription level the only way to go...or if there is a more natural approach. I'd appreciate any input.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I use Alpha-Hydrox 10% glycolic lotion and it has been really helpful for keeping my complexion looking younger than my age.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've found that putting on a mixture of coconut oil and castor oil 1:1 on my face at night before bed make a huge improvement. Sometimes I use just plain castor oil under my eyes at night and by morning my usual dark circles are gone. Castor oil is magic!

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I've found that putting on a mixture of coconut oil and castor oil 1:1 on my face at night before bed make a huge improvement. Sometimes I use just plain castor oil under my eyes at night and by morning my usual dark circles are gone. Castor oil is magic!
    I do something like this, except with olive oil to castor oil ratio 2:1. My skin has never been better.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    I use a 50% glycolic acid solution on my face once a month in between my monthly facials. I've used it for years. When I say face I mean face, neck, decolletage, and the back of my hands. Anything I do to my face I do to those areas as well. I also use it on my heels a few times a month to keep them soft. Recently I've started trying out more natural forms of skin care and none of my super hydrating soothing creams that I'd use after the acid treatment work as well as simple rendered beef tallow. That stuff is amazing.

The oil cleansing method is a new find too and so far so good. Right now I'm doing an 8:1 ratio of Avocado/Macadamia:Tea Tree oil. The tea tree oil stinks but my skin feels incredible afterwards. I also use oil/salt/lemon juice as a cleanser/exfoliator/lotion all in one. I recently bought some emu oil to try as well as I've heard good things about it.

If you do glycolic acid or retinol make sure everything you use on your skin is ultra gentle, soothing, anti-inflammatory, and super hydrating.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I use just plain castor oil under my eyes at night and by morning my usual dark circles are gone. Castor oil is magic!
    I need to try this!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    http://www.healthyskinsolutions.com/...-peel-at-home/

Glycolic acid is found in sugar and fruit acids, so need to buy a product, you've already got it in your kitchen!

I sometimes give myself a honey mask facial; if I'm feeling fancy, I might steam my face for a few minutes to open up my pores before applying the honey. My husband actually sometimes requests that I do a 'honey face' because he likes how soft it makes my skin, so I think that's proof it works!

janie is online now Senior Member
    Thanks so much for the responses. I had been using just coconut oil, but my skin was still dry, so I'll combine it with castor oil as mentioned. I was hesitant to use glycolic or retinol as my skin is somewhat sensitive, but may give it a go as well -- perhaps in a lower % solution or not every day...or even with some kitchen fruit. I appreciate your help.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses. I had been using just coconut oil, but my skin was still dry, so I'll combine it with castor oil as mentioned. I was hesitant to use glycolic or retinol as my skin is somewhat sensitive, but may give it a go as well -- perhaps in a lower % solution or not every day...or even with some kitchen fruit. I appreciate your help.
    If you've got dry skin I really wouldn't use castor oil... it's extremely drying and I damaged the skin under my eyes by putting it underneath I believe it's fine for people who have oily skin, but if you've got dry, sensitive skin then oil isn't a good option.

After I wrecked my skin I did some desperate searching around and I found this forum: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum...dd7148c35188ae
    It's an amazing resource for info. Post up a question describing your skin type and problem and I'm sure you'll get really helpful feedback. It's not as active as this site so you may not get a response immediately, but I've posted all my woes there and they've been great. Good luck!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

caro_h is offline Junior Member
    I use pure jojoba oil on my face (and sometimes an AHA cream when I remember) but nothing else. I started using it a couple of years ago to sort out adult acne and love it, wouldn't use anything else now. I think the AHA helps but the oil is the main thing. 40 in a couple of months and constantly get told I look much, much younger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast