Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladies: re skincare: over-the-counter retinol? Glycolic acid? Opinions? page 2

becks83 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I cleanse with a homemade oil/beeswax wipe-off cleanser which is similar to Lush's Ultrabalm. I'd never use anything but oil now. Also I make a toner with half organic apple cider vinegar (with 'the mother') and half water and use this a few times a week. Brightens, makes me look fresher/younger, and most of all keeps acne at bay. I've been searching for acne solutions for 20 years and can't believe no one ever mentioned this, I only discovered it a couple of years ago. For me, a miracle product

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I have sensitive and relatively dry skin. I have been using coconut oil for daily cleansing and moisturizing for a few years. I use honey or brown sugar occasionally for the glycolic acid properties. I couldn't be happier. My skin looks better than it has in 15 years and people often tell me my skin is glowing and they never guess that I am 47 when they guess my age they often think I am 32-35. I have never had anyone guess I am older than 35. My skin also looks even better since adding healthy fats back into my diet last June.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Thanks so much for the responses. I had been using just coconut oil, but my skin was still dry, so I'll combine it with castor oil as mentioned. I was hesitant to use glycolic or retinol as my skin is somewhat sensitive, but may give it a go as well -- perhaps in a lower % solution or not every day...or even with some kitchen fruit. I appreciate your help.
    You definitely don't want to use glycolic acid everyday. IMO start with a 20%, leave it on for 1-2m, then rinse with copious amounts of water. Do that every other week to start. Glycolic acid is all about the dose. I want the concentrated effects so I use a concentrated solution. The tiny amounts found in produce are fine for daily use but for a good chemical peel effect you want the concentrated stuff.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If you've got dry skin I really wouldn't use castor oil... it's extremely drying and I damaged the skin under my eyes by putting it underneath I believe it's fine for people who have oily skin, but if you've got dry, sensitive skin then oil isn't a good option.
    Interesting...I have very dry skin, and castor oil has made such an improvement. Also, I think not using a face wash anymore has also helped; only using either honey or oil to cleanse my face doesn't leave it feeling like I washed it with sandpaper (which is how store-bought face wash usually feels to me).

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I have used Neo Strata for years. My skin is typically very dry, this is the only thing that works for me. Usually the strongest one.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Interesting...I have very dry skin, and castor oil has made such an improvement. Also, I think not using a face wash anymore has also helped; only using either honey or oil to cleanse my face doesn't leave it feeling like I washed it with sandpaper (which is how store-bought face wash usually feels to me).
    How do you use the oil/honey to clean and hydrate?
    Want to know more as I have dry and sensitive skin too and have always used over the counter products, never crossed my mind to use natural ingredients.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I have experimented with the oil cleansing method, but had issues finding the right combination. I have been using DHC Deep cleansing oil for years, and their olive virgin oil for moisturizing. It is fantastic stuff, and keeps the acne at bay and also does not strip or dry my skin.

My skin is quite sensitive, and even the coconut oil on the face caused a rash.

I am 38, and most people think I have not hit 30 yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12