Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just quit my job as a professional gum & candy taster.. Ask Me Anything page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

Question Just quit my job as a professional gum & candy taster.. Ask Me Anything

Primal Fuel
    So in October I fell off the primal wagon, then set the wagon on fire, and gained back most of the weight I had lost. Shortly after I beat out 700 other applicants and was offered a job as a professional gum & candy taster for an international brand's tasting panel. Just a few days ago, half-way through training I couldn't bring myself to continue and quit. So now I'm back here -- prodigal son coming home and all that.

There are probably less than 100 professional gum & candy tasters in the US (as most brands can't or won't pay for them) so thought you all might have some questions about the industry and my experience. Feel free to ask anything and I'll try my best to answer. (Just don't ask what company, I'd rather not say.)
    Last edited by DashFire; 04-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    it sounds sickening, lol, but were you tasting "new" test flavors?

what are the qualifications for something like that?

i mean, they use humans as dog food tasters too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    were you tasting "new" test flavors?
    both in-house and competitors existing products (for comparison and reference) and products under development.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    what are the qualifications for something like that?
    not so much pre-existing qualifications as tested abilities -- discerning palette, consistency of results, etc. It's surprisingly complex. There were dozens of factors we were tested on.

liminal_luke is offline Member
    That's a super interesting job, although I can see how you'd want to quit with the primal thing and everything. I'd also be interested to know about the qualifications. And how you went about developing a discerning sense of taste, or is it more of an inborn thing that a person either has or doesn't have?

Quote Originally Posted by liminal_luke View Post
    I'd also be interested to know about the qualifications. And how you went about developing a discerning sense of taste, or is it more of an inborn thing that a person either has or doesn't have?
    Honestly I can't say if it is inborn, though it seems logical that different people would have varying palette abilities. However, I think it has more to do with food experience and what variety of foods people are exposed to and with what frequency. I'd always been fascinated with food, cooked since I was a kid and have taken time to try and get to know food. So it doesn't surprise me that I may "naturally" have a more discerning palette.

Regardless, I absolutely believe anyone can be intentional and train themselves to be more discerning. It was quite frankly a very, VERY intensive training process. We started every day tasting dozens of "reference" foods or flavor solutions to calibrate and further hone our senses.

If someone is wanting to increase their abilities in this regard... I'd recommend starting with a single type of foods (whether that's spices, cheeses, fruits, veggies, coffees, wines or whatever), take the time to taste and savor a variety, learn about the differences, and then taste them over and over. After a while move on to another group.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    DashFire! Glad to see you back! Sorry the job didn't work out, but it is still very good to hear from you again!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Thanks Crabbcakes! Glad to be back.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    different people would have varying palette abilities.

>>snip>>

have a more discerning palette.
    gaaaah, pet peeve. i work as a sommelier. PALATE. PALATE.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sumacito is offline Junior Member
    I work in private label development "frozen grocery"... it is very hard as I am constantly benchmarking new and existing products... I always spit the food out... but senses get ignited...

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why candy? After going paleo for a while how did you end up in that space?

While tasting groups of foods for palette training did you ever get ideas for flavour combinations in your own personal cooking that you never thought of trying?

Did the job itself turn you off of food in off hours or did your eating habits remain the same?

Welcome back by the way! Missed you on the boards!
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast