Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Just quit my job as a professional gum & candy taster.. Ask Me Anything page 4

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sumacito and Dashfire, I'm curious how one gets to be a professional taster. My son is now 15 and he seems to be particularly gifted in tasting flavors and articulating what he tastes. I've always thought it would be an interesting career.

For a while my husband and I had a small honey business, at the time I was a catering chef at a restaurant and we once brought in some of our honey for the owner of the restaurant to taste (he was very good at paring wines and food), any way he described the 3 flavors that he tasted in the honey and they were the same 3 flavors our son picked up on. Of course I've mentioned Sommelier to him but at this point he can't stand the taste of wine.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Dashfire

How many different types of gums or candies did you try contained aspartame?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Of course I've mentioned Sommelier to him but at this point he can't stand the taste of wine.
    There are beer tasters, did you know? I didn't know that and then I saw this table of people at a local brewery tasting beer. They took notes and everything, had a list of dozens of things to check off.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Dashfire, have you considered going into the culinary arts and opening a caveman themed restaurant?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Of course I've mentioned Sommelier to him but at this point he can't stand the taste of wine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There are beer tasters, did you know? I didn't know that and then I saw this table of people at a local brewery tasting beer. They took notes and everything, had a list of dozens of things to check off.
    whiskey and bourbon tasters too, but that's more geographically limited.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    What was your dental plan like?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

sumacito is offline Junior Member
    The company I work for trains the panel we have --- I am not a professional taster -- but I use them when developing new products... so I have to taste and have a decent sense of taste....

Taste changes with age -- and generally women are better tasters then men... We have a hard time finding men who can pass our preliminary taste test (comprises of tasting clear coloured liquids of various intensities for the major flavour groups, sweet, sour, umami etc..)

I wouldn't say food tasting is a career I would want to choose... somalier, coffee or tea"cupper" -- beer or whiskey taster or cheese yes... these are the "top notch" taster jobs... :-)

If you want to be a product developer you need to have a good sense of smell and taste -- and the ability to leave out your own sense of likes and dislikes and focus on what is in front of you....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234