Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Just quit my job as a professional gum & candy taster.. Ask Me Anything page 3

  1. #21
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Primal Fuel
    Why would you quit such an awesome job? Also, lol
    Why? Is there a rule that states you have to swallow everything you put in your mouth?
    nihil

  2. #22
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    So are you what they call a super taster?
    I think this is a different thing. My fiancÚ has the most dead palate of anyone I've ever met (eats SAD), but he's a super taster. Tasting the little sticks in a Biology class, he vomited! He's very sensitive to certain flavors, but overall, not discerning.

    My question is: how was the compensation (if you got paid for training, or how was it going to be if you continued on with it)?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  3. #23
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Do they give applicants any specific health warnings? Do they swallow the tasted product? What do they say about HFCS?

    On your own health - how long did it take to regain? And how much did you regain?


    Welcome back!

  4. #24
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,914
    So, if you did not swallow the food you tasted, were you able to evaluate the food's aftertaste very well?

    What kind of candy did you taste? Was it mostly chocolate or fruity candy?

    Was there anything you tasted that made you think wow, they've hit the jackpot on this one and any hints on what it was?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

  5. #25
    Sabine's Avatar
    Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
    Posts
    5,249
    Did you rinse with anything in between tastes?

  6. #26
    DashFire's Avatar
    DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think this is a different thing. My fiancÚ has the most dead palate of anyone I've ever met (eats SAD), but he's a super taster. Tasting the little sticks in a Biology class, he vomited! He's very sensitive to certain flavors, but overall, not discerning.
    Correct. As I understand it, a supertaster has hypersensitivity to a particular set of base or aromatic flavors. Definitely not me. Though I think we had one or two in the group, who would taste certain flavors in EVERYthing, even when the rest of us couldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My question is: how was the compensation (if you got paid for training, or how was it going to be if you continued on with it)?
    Not exceptional, but decent.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

    I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

  7. #27
    DashFire's Avatar
    DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Do they give applicants any specific health warnings? Do they swallow the tasted product? What do they say about HFCS?
    The only thing we were informed of is that everything we were tasting was FDA approved. There were no "experimental" ingredients. Most people would spit out most of the product.

    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    On your own health - how long did it take to regain? And how much did you regain?
    I had regained most of the weight back prior to even starting this job. So far, I haven't on the scale in months. That begins tomorrow. I'm a bit fearful. Will report back.


    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Welcome back!
    Thanks!
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

    I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

  8. #28
    DashFire's Avatar
    DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    So, if you did not swallow the food you tasted, were you able to evaluate the food's aftertaste very well?
    Aftertaste isn't a big thing honestly. I mean it's there, it's just not as important from an evaluation perspective. Initially I found the artificial sweetener aftertastes to be really strong, but started getting used to it. Also, a lot of gum gets surprisingly bitter after a few minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What kind of candy did you taste? Was it mostly chocolate or fruity candy?
    No chocolate. Was a lot of fruity hard or chewy candies. But mostly mint gums.

    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Was there anything you tasted that made you think wow, they've hit the jackpot on this one and any hints on what it was?
    Not exactly. There were a couple I really liked...one for its peppermint flavor and another for the amazing texture. Generally we weren't told what the products were, to prevent any kind of bias. But, pretty sure they were from two different manufacturers, so not holding my breath for one with the perfect flavor & texture.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

    I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

  9. #29
    DashFire's Avatar
    DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Did you rinse with anything in between tastes?
    Water & low-sodium saltines.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

    I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

  10. #30
    sumacito's Avatar
    sumacito is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    20
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I work with a large panel of professional tasters and I would say that most of them are not over weight... they are selected because they have the ability to smell and taste as well as express what they taste smell and feel in their mouth well.

    Most of the PD's and PM's at my company are thin or average weight... I would say 90% of what we taste gets spit out... and many of the people are true lovers of food.. but happen to work for CPG companies...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •