Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend Desperately needs help page

Whitestone1550 is offline Junior Member

Girlfriend Desperately needs help

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I have posted on this before, but it's become a kind of problem since then. My girlfriend wants to loose weight. She has watched me transform over the last two months while I have been doing Paleo. She is desperate to see some of the same results, but has been on a very low carb Paleo regimen for 3 weeks and has seen nothing. Her weight fluctuates a lot during the day and can even go up during the night (I have no clue). Can someone explain to me what might make a woman's body not want to loose weight like this and how to troubleshoot? I just want to help her and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. The same things that work for me have no effect on her.

Thanks

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    3 weeks is not a long time, and "low carb" doesn't tell us much about her diet.
    Can you give us some more details?

Sure, she has been eating eggs and bacon (or turkey bacon) for breakfast, usually a chicken salad for lunch, and dinner is usually something on the meaty side. Her carbs consistently stay under 50 grams per day, and she has been limiting the fruit to get that down even further.

She also works out about 3 times a week at the gym (weights and running).

Anything else you need to know?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    does she need to lose weight? or just affect body recomp?

she may not be eating enough, she may be eating too much, you're not giving many details.

it's normal for weight to fluctuate during the day and from day-to-day. she should weigh herself in the morning and that's it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitestone1550 View Post
    Sure, she has been eating eggs and bacon (or turkey bacon) for breakfast, usually a chicken salad for lunch, and dinner is usually something on the meaty side. Her carbs consistently stay under 50 grams per day, and she has been limiting the fruit to get that down even further.

She also works out about 3 times a week at the gym (weights and running).

Anything else you need to know?
    Suspected problems bolded.

Sounds like she's under eating and overtraining - really bad combination. My advice, get her to ditch the turkey bacon for some real stuff, quit the carb counting and eat fruit/sweet potato etc, especially if she's weight training and running. On that note, maybe ditch the running unless she really, genuinely enjoys it.

Her diet sounds pretty high protein/low fat/ low carb - what are her stats? Age/Height/Weight, etc. These details would be useful.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    EDIT: Double post. Crap.

She's 26, won't tell me her weight, but probably needs to loose around 25 lbs, about 5'5".

"she may not be eating enough, she may be eating too much, you're not giving many details."

She eats until she's full and I can promise that she doesn't overeat. What more would you like me to include? Just tell me and I'll throw it in there.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitestone1550 View Post
    She's 26, won't tell me her weight, but probably needs to loose around 25 lbs, about 5'5".
    Seriously??? Anyway, I repeat - does she actually have weight to lose? Or just a bit of a pooch? Her scale weight could be holding steady because she's building lean mass from exercise. Does she look different? Do her clothes fit differently? Any other non-scale measureable changes?

ETA: Also, both of you stressing over her lack of progress on the scale is likely not helping. She needs to stop weighing herself daily, let alone multiple times a day. Best time for me, I've noticed, is to weigh myself once a month - right after my period, first thing in the morning after a non-workout day. Apart from that the weight fluctuates too much and it is impossible to gauge progress.
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 04-02-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    seems to me she has the balance a bit wrong too high in protein and carbs, too low in fat

I would say eat more fat, slightly less protein but make it good stuff like grass fed beef, eggs, wild game and fish, and eat lots of green leafy vegetables also dressed with a little fat

this should get her burning fat nicely, remind her to drink water, get good sleep, some sunshine and some steady daily activity

use good fat like coconut, olive, grass fed butter to cook in

coconut oil is great if she is feeling in need of energy, medium chain SFAs provide insta energy

Yes, She has actual weight to loose and she isn't seeing much difference on the scale or in her clothes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast