Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: "Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness page 8

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe this argument is still going on.

This is why people laugh at Paleo. Seriously. Just eat whatever dafuq you want and shut up. :/

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    By the same argument, a steak is not whole food -- only the whole animal is "whole food" and parts of it are not.

I'm not arguing for constructing a diet on the basis of butter -- I'm just pointing out that your definition of "whole food" seems remarkably fuzzy and allows you to include or exclude foods at will.
    I actually agree that milk is a whole food while cream isn't. Cream definitely makes a more frequent appearance in my diet than milk does though. Extracted fats, tallow, lard, coconut oil, butter, etc have a place in a healthy natural diet, and they are foods, but not whole foods. I eat high fat low carb and I still use added fats as condiments and cooking tools not meals.

The definition of "whole foods" is inherently fuzzy. I mean some things are obvious like an apple or a zucchini. Parts of animals are also whole foods. You maybe able to eat a whole(ish) rabbit but have fun trying to eat a whole cow. Still meat and the fat that accompanies it is close enough to a whole food for me. Isolated rendered tallow is amazing (both for eating and slathering on my skin) but it's still not a whole food. Neither is cream.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    No, it isn't. That isn't even close to the same argument. You can kill a cow and eat steak onsite. You can't do that with butter.
    What? Milk the cow, let milk stand for few hours, you'll have a nice thick layer of cream on top. Take that cream, whip it (right here, "onsite", next to the cow and the milk bucket) and you have butter.

...butter is a byproduct of milk.
    ..byproduct? "I don't think this word means what you think it means" :-D

Steak is nutrient-dense. Butter isn't.
    We're talking about what is a "whole food" and what is not. Nutrient density has nothing to do with it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    How are you ever going to gain weight low carb? The fat satiety system in your body is flawless, you become very nauseated when you had too much.
    Says a 15-year old boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    What? Milk the cow, let milk stand for few hours, you'll have a nice thick layer of cream on top. Take that cream, whip it (right here, "onsite", next to the cow and the milk bucket) and you have butter.

..byproduct? "I don't think this word means what you think it means" :-D

We're talking about what is a "whole food" and what is not. Nutrient density has nothing to do with it.
    Perhaps cream is the real food and milk is just the byproduct of skimming of the most easily-available layer of cream.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    you might be suffering from soap box blindness too chocotaco,

I'll digress;

the same website info that everybody else was quoting told you what the average american consumes, not me.

I never once in my post claimed any link between carbs and obesity.

I never once in my post claimed what type of diet 'this' is.

I never said there where any problems

All I was mearly trying to point out was that derpamix was falsely using a study to further his point of view (which is that carbs are off the hook when it comes to obesity problems), I was trying to point out that the study actually showed that carbs ARE NOT off the hook and a very much instigated, as is FAT, as the study shows. the following is a summary of the rebuttal to derpamix

The USA has a lower percentage of carbs consumed in their diet compared to other countries. but because of the USA's greatly increased calorie intake this actually leads them to eating more carbs per day than most of the rest of the world.

have you taken your blind fold off yet chocotaco, we are agreeing/saying the exact same thing.
    You missed the point entirely. I know you badly want to demonize carbs in the name of your holy grail ketosis, but try to keep up. This thread should have been finished long ago. The fact it was even posted was pretty absurd.
    nihil

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    Kimchi,

There are a lot of carb defenders here, I'm not one of them. Trust me. Low-carb diets were the only way I ever lost weight without feeling miserable and weak.
    They aren't really miracles, in that, yeah if you go off it you'll gain back the weight, but that's true of any diet and in spite of what some here may tell you there is no conclusive evidence that they're dangerous.
    I'm not saying they're for everyone, but they do work. Yes, it has been proven that they are effective for weightloss, and there is empirical as well as anecdotal evidence that they improve the metabolic profile and symptoms of type 2 diabetes, PCOS, and insulin resistance.
    Thanks for the intelligent post.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    You can kill a cow and eat steak onsite. You can't do that with butter. Milk is a whole food, butter is a byproduct of milk. Steak isn't a byproduct of a cow, it is the flesh of a cow. That's a straw man. Steak is nutrient-dense. Butter isn't.
    butter is churned milk, not a "by-product" by any stretch of the imagination. cream is milk-fat, also not a by-product.

Milk is a whole food.

Cream is not. It is the fatty non-homogenized stuff that floats to the top of milk.

From there, butter is the fat extracted from cream after the water is churned out and some milk solids remain.

Butter is less nutrient-dense than maple syrup or molasses. I wouldn't drink a glass of maple syrup or molasses, and I'm guessing you wouldn't, either. It makes just as much sense to eat straight butter.
    by your pretzel logic, cream is actually MORE whole since it separates itself naturally from its water content. you don't have to "do" anything to it, other than let it sit.

and comparing cream or butter to sugar is just nonsense.

i am not drinking oceans of cream or eating butter by the stick. i also don't touch maple syrup, molasses or any of the arbitrary sweeteners that are fine by you. (molasses being a by-product and all.)
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Are we really doing the ChocoTaco Butter Battle Tap Dance Party again? It goes like this:

Choco says butter is a processed/un-whole food

Someone points out that it's less processed/more whole than many foods he considers acceptable

Choco then says butter isn't nutrient dense

Someone points out that it's actually pretty nutrient dense

Choco then says you shouldn't put 900 kCal of butter in coffee

Someone points out that hardly anyone puts anything like that in their coffee

Choco then claims that butter is a processed/unwhole food

Repeat the cycle 3 or 4 times, then Choco stops posting

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I just felt obligated to post since all the other usual suspects already have.

I really don't have anything new to say though..... Have fun!

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I just felt obligated to post since all the other usual suspects already have.

I really don't have anything new to say though..... Have fun!
    +1

My fave post so far.

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast