Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: "Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness page 7

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Milk is a whole food.

Cream is not. It is the fatty non-homogenized stuff that floats to the top of milk.
    So homogenized milk is unprocessed, but cream skimmed from unhomogenized milk is processed?

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Milk is a whole food.

Cream is not. It is the fatty non-homogenized stuff that floats to the top of milk.
    By the same argument, a steak is not whole food -- only the whole animal is "whole food" and parts of it are not.

I'm not arguing for constructing a diet on the basis of butter -- I'm just pointing out that your definition of "whole food" seems remarkably fuzzy and allows you to include or exclude foods at will.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    I'm just pointing out that your definition of "whole food" seems remarkably fuzzy and allows you to include or exclude foods at will.
    That was my point as well. Technically you could call grain- and legume-based diet "paleo," which renders the no grains/legumes/dairy rules completely arbitrary. Meat, fruit and tubers are all whole foods, but they're not the only whole foods. So in the end, Choco, you're not truly arguing just for a whole foods diet; you're arguing against limiting some whole foods.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    I'm not arguing for constructing a diet on the basis of butter -- I'm just pointing out that your definition of "whole food" seems remarkably fuzzy and allows you to include or exclude foods at will.
    Extremely.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Egg whites =/= whole food
    Egg yolks =/= whole food
    Eggshells =/= whole food

Egg whites + egg yolks + eggshells = whole food.

Did anyone remember to eat their eggshells today?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So homogenized milk is unprocessed, but cream skimmed from unhomogenized milk is processed?
    Homogenized milk is obviously not as good as non-homogenized milk, but most of us don't have access to non-homogenized milk. Since milk is an order of magnitude more nutritious per calorie than butter, and butter is closer in terms of nutrient density to refined sugars (as it is an isolated fat, not a food), drinking milk is A-OK while eating butter is empty calories. One is a food, the other is a cooking tool. But I appreciate you taking your time to troll me.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    By the same argument, a steak is not whole food -- only the whole animal is "whole food" and parts of it are not.
    No, it isn't. That isn't even close to the same argument. You can kill a cow and eat steak onsite. You can't do that with butter. Milk is a whole food, butter is a byproduct of milk. Steak isn't a byproduct of a cow, it is the flesh of a cow. That's a straw man. Steak is nutrient-dense. Butter isn't.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Whole foods or not - some food are simply too calorie dense and should be limited if you are not doing extreme hard physical work! Pure fat like butter, oils and bacon fat, - AND pure carbs like white sugar, white flour and dried fruits, be careful they may easily make you fat and destroy your health! Putting pure fat or carbs in drinks is even worse, so beware all ye Coca-Cola and Bulletproof fans...

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    No, it isn't. That isn't even close to the same argument. You can kill a cow and eat steak onsite. You can't do that with butter. Milk is a whole food, butter is a byproduct of milk. Steak isn't a byproduct of a cow, it is the flesh of a cow. That's a straw man. Steak is nutrient-dense. Butter isn't.
    So what amount of manipulation, in your mind, crosses the line from "whole food" to "non-whole food"? Manipulation that can be performed "onsite"? One or two "sites"? Heat, but only to a certain degree? One implement, two implements, three implements? If I mix two "whole foods" together, am I suddenly not eating "whole foods" anymore?

(Also...that aint a "straw man.")

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Whole foods or not - some food are simply too calorie dense and should be limited if you are not doing extreme hard physical work! Pure fat like butter, oils and bacon fat, - AND pure carbs like white sugar, white flour and dried fruits, be careful they may easily make you fat and destroy your health! Putting pure fat or carbs in drinks is even worse, so beware all ye Coca-Cola and Bulletproof fans...
    I could hang my head in shame, but +1.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast