Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: "Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness page 5

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    IMO and experience Choco is absolutely right.

It's not carbs that make us fat. It's the poor quality and the huge quantities we eat. Processed, "engineered" carbs that come from a factory make people hungry all the time and they constantly eat. Tons of carbs + tons of calories - physical activity = obesity.

You can't eat 200g. of baked potato carbs in one sitting. It will make you too full. On the other hand, I still clearly remember my KrispyCreme days.....

I've been all over the carbohydrate curve spectrum. All for prolonged amount of time. Calories always have mattered to me. Eating over certain amount = weight gain.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    That doesn't even work, because most of us eat rice. And you can't say some seeds are good while others are bad unless you get into anti-nutrients/prolamines and all that boring shit, which drives the message away from "eat real food".

WAPF can proclaim "eat real food" because they don't technically restrict anything. And that's mostly paleo.
    Sure you can. It just depends how much work you want to put into this. If you hate cooking and food prep and you're not a big foodie that just wants it easy (most of America), The Primal Blueprint works because of simplicity, and it's much easier for people to adhere to a simple "AVOID" list: grains, legumes, vegetable oils, refined sugars. Check, check, check, check. Simple.

Now, the WAPF is correct. You can eat properly prepared grains and they probably won't hurt you in reasonable quantities. But now you're including 1,000 different gray areas. White rice is fine, but brown rice isn't unless you soak it in buckwheat, reserve the water, store it in the fridge and use that as a starter over and over to remove phytate. Corn is bad, but non-GMO corn boiled in a calcium carbonate solution for hours, then dried and ground into masa harina flour is okay. Soy is bad, but fermented non-GMO gluten-free tamari is fine. Beans are bad, unless they're soaked, sprouted and pressure-cooked. Oats are bad, but not if they're non-GMO, soaked several times in buckwheat to remove phytate and fermented in lactic acid. Wheat is bad, but not if it's ancient Einkorn wheat, soaked, sprouted, the bran and germ hulled and fermented in lactic acid bacteria in an airtight jar for 72 hours...unless you're celiac in which case it's never OK. And it goes on and on and on.

Now you just made this the most complicated diet in history, and while you may have succeeded in removing most of the anti-nutrients, you're still consuming largely empty calories. They're not harming you, but they're not really nourishing you.

I do Primal*. The asterisk is for "modified." I eat meats, fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers, but I allow myself white rice and non-GMO corn tortillas (Ingredients: masa harina, water, lime [calcium carbonate]). And I rarely purposely eat them. White rice I almost never make, but I'll never refuse a dish based on rice if someone made it for me, and I will NEVER turn away sushi. I purposely buy Whole Foods organic corn tortillas and eat them every once in awhile. Good sugars I have zero issues with (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, molasses) but I avoid HFCS and agave 100% of the time. That's about it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Jeez you guys are blind when you jump on your soap boxes...

...49% of the USA person's 3770 kcals (average) is coming from carbs so:
    Dude...are you serious? You just told me that the average American is consuming nearly 4,000 CALORIES A DAY, and you go on a soapbox over carbs? Maybe it's not the carbs, but the fact that the average person sitting on their ass all day is eating like a PROFESSIONAL BODYBUILDER CALORICALLY? Hypocrisy much?

The average American is also getting 35% of their daily calories from fats. That is not a low fat/high carb diet. It is a high calorie, low protein diet.

Maybe the problem is we're consuming well over double the calories of the people in the Congo while simultaneously being much more sedentary?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-03-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    4000 calories a day, for a mostly sedentary population is going to lead to fat people, even if we are just eating 4000 calories a day of coconut oil. Of course, who the hell could eat 4000 calories worth of coconut oil?

But it's damn easy to get to 4000 calories a day eating cinnabon, drinking lattes and having value meals. Most people don't get fat because of fruit, rice and potatoes.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Consuming 4000 calories of coconut oil a day wouldn't make me fat. I'd be spending all my time on the toilet. It passes right through me.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Kimchi,

There are a lot of carb defenders here, I'm not one of them. Trust me. Low-carb diets were the only way I ever lost weight without feeling miserable and weak.
    They aren't really miracles, in that, yeah if you go off it you'll gain back the weight, but that's true of any diet and in spite of what some here may tell you there is no conclusive evidence that they're dangerous.
    I'm not saying they're for everyone, but they do work. Yes, it has been proven that they are effective for weightloss, and there is empirical as well as anecdotal evidence that they improve the metabolic profile and symptoms of type 2 diabetes, PCOS, and insulin resistance.

However, Calories in/Calories out, is true in that to gain weight you have to be eating more calories than you burn. The controversial part is whether or not this fact is useful to someone who needs to lose weight.
    My belief is that it's certainly not a magic formula for two reasons:
    1. It tends to be advice delivered condescendingly to an obese person by someone who as either never struggled with their weight, is fatphobic, or was 'overweight' by 15 or so pounds as a teenager and lost it just by giving up pizza for breakfast. Or any combination of those three.
    2. Living things are essentially giant chemical reaction factories. Our bodies aren't just furnaces that you throw fuel in. For food to be stored as fat, it has to enter your cells and whether or not it does that is determined by the chemical messengers of your body the hormones. Also, 'calorie' is only a unit of energy. Things that aren't food have calories, and there's no such thing as a calorie receptor...so it isn't calories that get stored as fat it's the macromolecules that make up food: carbohydrates, amino acids, and lipids.

Even on a low-carb diet the amount of you eat does matter. There are some who may be able to eat 6000 calories a day without gaining weight if none of it is starches or sugars, but they're the exception not the rule. This is particularly true for females and older people.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    A request of my fellow meat and vegi eating buddies:
    lower your carbs to 50g and you lose weight no matter your calorie intake or calorie expenditure.
    Really? Who are these "fellow meat and vegi eating buddies"? Did they really request that you come here and school us?

CICO is the only thing that works for me. I am 100% primal and doing everything right. I IF every day, have a small eating window, exercise six days a week, make/drink the bone broth, drink the water, lift the heavy things, etc etc etc. I'm pretty much a model Primal person. And I have to fight for every pound I lose. If I lose 2 lbs a month it's a miracle. The weight is not "melting away" or "dropping off" the way so many here seem to experience it. I have to fight my scale tooth and nail every single day. This shit is hard, yo. This is not easy weight loss. Primal actually sucks as a weight loss diet. For ME. Your mileage may vary. I'm in this for the long haul and have no intentions of merely using it as a tool to lose weight....I want to lose, yeah, but I also want the health benefits and am committed. Haven't cheated once....have no need. I like what I'm eating and it could be rice and potatoes or it could be meat with a side of meat. Carbs or no carbs, I HAVE to count calories or primal does not work for me (for weight loss). So I can unequivocally say that your "fellow meat and vegi eating buddies" don't know what they're talking about.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    How are you ever going to gain weight low carb? The fat satiety system in your body is flawless, you become very nauseated when you had too much.
    Billie trips balls

jakey is offline Senior Member
    this is why MDA forums are boring now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    How are you ever going to gain weight low carb? The fat satiety system in your body is flawless, you become very nauseated when you had too much.
    Fat is the easiest macronutrient to store as body fat. If you want to gain weight, there is no more efficient way than eating straight fat. It will also probably give you the least desirable body composition because it takes no effort for the body to store. Carbs and protein in surplus have to be converted, which is inefficient and takes you some work to do so.

Your body's satiety system is designed to gain body fat. Throughout evolution, those that couldn't store fat efficiently starved to death during the long winters and those that put on body fat efficiently survived by staying warmer and better nourished. Also, the feeling of satiety lags behind food intake by about 20 minutes. You are designed to overeat during each sitting because your body is unsure of when your next meal will come. Pair that with the fact that carbohydrate, particularly fruit sugar, better supports thyroid and adrenal function and you'll likely have a higher metabolic rate consuming more of your calories through a carbohydrate-rich diet than one void of your body's most essential energy source (glucose).

This all adds to why the typical low-carber can never lose those last 20 lbs.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast