Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: "Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness page 4

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    ^ Wheat is real food, too. In fact, most eat-real-foodies eat wheat. If paleo were as simple as whole foods, it wouldn't be paleo.

/off topic
    How about "eat plants and animals, but not grasses".
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Timthetaco Guest
    That doesn't even work, because most of us eat rice. And you can't say some seeds are good while others are bad unless you get into anti-nutrients/prolamines and all that boring shit, which drives the message away from "eat real food".

WAPF can proclaim "eat real food" because they don't technically restrict anything. And that's mostly paleo.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I guess if you ignore the billions of lean people who get the majority of their calories from carbs, sure. Oh, and the fact the fattest nation on Earth has the lowest carb consumption. Oh, and then there is myself:

http://i.imgur.com/mLpUv.png (bad DMV picture, but you get the point)

6'3 150lbs 400g of carbs a day minimum. A lot coming from that dreaded white sugar.
    Here is a great chart showing carb consumption Contribution of Carbohydrates in Total Dietary Consumption all the countries with the highest carb consumption who are thinner than those in the west are for the most part malnourished....
    Last edited by Dirlot; 04-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Here is a great chart showing carb consumption Contribution of Carbohydrates in Total Dietary Consumption all the countries with the highest carb consumption who are thinner than those in the west are for the most part malnourished....
    But that clearly shows calories do matter, and it's not carbs that is making everyone fat, does it not? The USA has the lowest carb consumption and is by far the most obese nation in the world.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Yep.

Daily Calorie Intake Per Capita

Low carbs, highest calories. Coincidentally, high obesity.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    LOL.
    Seriously..... "carbs" are not making Americans fat. The engineered foods are, and they have plenty of fat and carbs to pump up the calories.

Case in point- I get my coffee and the occasional chocolate croissant from a bakery near work. The clerk is overweight, but she has lost 70lbs in a year (still losing) by cutting out the processed foods and watching portions. And yes, she eats some breads and sweets in moderation.

Reducing carbs is a *brilliant* way to cut calories. But for most people, if they replace those carbs with new calories over time, they will not lose weight. Just like you can lose weight low fat, but once you replace those fat calories with sugar and carbs, the weight comes back on.

Mostly, you need to avoid foods engineered to make you want to eat an excess of calories- like a 2000 calorie bag of doritos.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Jacksson is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't understand paleo forums. This should be as simple as eating real food, but somehow everyone manages to complicate the hell out of something that is supposed to be intuitive and incredibly easy. I don't care if it's steak, potatoes, mangoes or almonds. It's all food. Eat what your body wants you to eat. If you want a potato but you're shoving bacon down your throat until the craving goes away because you're trying to live on some nonexistent carbohydrate curve, you're doing this wrong! If you have a craving for a specific type of meat, a strong fruit craving or a craving for starch, it's probably because your body is missing something in that food. Go with it instead of trying to adhere to artificial macros. Just choose real food sources - pork loin over hot dogs, potatoes over grains, fruit over candy.

Perfect.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    ^ Wheat is real food, too. In fact, most eat-real-foodies eat wheat. If paleo were as simple as whole foods, it wouldn't be paleo.

/off topic
    How is wheat a whole food? You can't pick a stalk of wheat out of the ground and eat it. Each individual grain has to be hulled and then it has to be pounded (traditionally by rock) into a flour. And then traditionally, it's soaked and fermented for days to improve digestion. It takes literally days of processing to eat it. That's the very antithesis of a whole food.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    But that clearly shows calories do matter, and it's not carbs that is making everyone fat, does it not? The USA has the lowest carb consumption and is by far the most obese nation in the world.
    Jeez you guys are blind when you jump on your soap boxes.

Dietary Macronutrient Composition per capita
    ^^^This link shows the carb and fat and protein daily everage ENERGY ratio's of the world. The carb percentages are exactly the same as in the "Contribution of Carbohydrates in Total Dietary Consumption" page that got referenced.

This link shows that the USA has one of the largest carb intakes in the world. I'll show you how by using a few calculations. we'll use the USA (one of the lowest carb PERCENTAGES) and the D.R. of Congo(the highest percentage of carbs)

49% of the USA person's 3770 kcals (average) is coming from carbs so:

0.49 * 3770 = 1847.3 kcals of carbs
    1847.3 / 4 = 461.8 grams of carbs per day

80% of the D.R. of Congo person's 1590 kcals (average) is coming from carbs so:
    .8 * 1590 = 1272 kcals of carbs
    1272 / 4 = 318 grams of carbs per day

So there we have it derp the average American consumes more carbs than most of the world (I calculated out alot of countries) the only ones that beat the USA are the poorer (carbs are cheap remember) polar countries like russia that the contstituents would use alot of ingested energy on warming their own bodies.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    woops double post
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 04-03-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: double post
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast