Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: "Calories in / Calories Out" -- Please Stop the Madness page 12

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I think everyone is getting all riled up because this statement is an absolute that doesn't hold water for many people since it contradicts the personal experience of many forum members. Sure, some lucky people have had great success adopting a low carb lifestyle, but it doesn't work for everyone.

At any given time, half the threads on this forum are from people who are desperate because they are not even eating fruit and freaking about how many grams of carbs are in a vegetable yet can't lose weight.
    I think this is a good point. Folks always expect weight loss over night. Like, ya know, we put it all on over night. It's slow. Painstakingly slow. Miserable process.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I actually started eating butter after that last thread...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I actually started eating butter after that last thread...
    And let me guess, you're still losing! =]

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    And let me guess, you're still losing! =]
    I was, but then I added a slice of onion to my butter and beef pattie and the insulin spike drove all the fat into my fat cells
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I was, but then I added a slice of onion to my butter and beef pattie and the insulin spike drove all the fat into my fat cells
    Oh no!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I hear that looking at carbs can cause an insulin spike. Maybe next time you should close your eyes when you're about to eat some onion.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I hear that looking at carbs can cause an insulin spike. Maybe next time you should close your eyes when you're about to eat some onion.
    Sounds like that study I read years ago where the scientists came to the conclusion that merely THINKING about exercise raised metabolic rates, heart rates, and decreased risk of heart disease.

Wait, so I don't even have to do it anymore? Score!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Sounds like that study I read years ago where the scientists came to the conclusion that merely THINKING about exercise raised metabolic rates, heart rates, and decreased risk of heart disease.

Wait, so I don't even have to do it anymore? Score!
    Nah, it will never work. So long as you're thinking about carbs your insulin will keep spiking and you'll keep driving fat into fat cells. You'll never stop the madness

- Ray Peat

peppermint is offline Member
    IMO fat > carbs for energy. Sugar/carbs make me retain water, while fat does not. I could eat a whole loaf of bread/ bag of candy/ whatever and still feel munchy, but a few eggs with a decent amount of butter fills me up and makes me not want to eat any more. Plus the energy I get from fat seems to keep me moving and energetic for longer, compared to the sugar crash, so even if we are making an oversimplified statement like CICO, I'd end up burning more calories by still moving around instead of ending up sitting down exhausted craving more sugar. IMO eating some spinach with coconut oil and drinking the coffee black is the best way to go. You can't go wrong with spinach. I've had butter in chai tea before, it is definitely delicious, but if you have access to vegetables I'd put the butter on those instead.

So I say CICO is true, but somewhat misleading, and some calories are better than others for me and my lifestyle. And vegetables are better than no vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
    IMO fat > carbs for energy. Sugar/carbs make me retain water, while fat does not. I could eat a whole loaf of bread/ bag of candy/ whatever and still feel munchy, but a few eggs with a decent amount of butter fills me up and makes me not want to eat any more. Plus the energy I get from fat seems to keep me moving and energetic for longer, compared to the sugar crash, so even if we are making an oversimplified statement like CICO, I'd end up burning more calories by still moving around instead of ending up sitting down exhausted craving more sugar. IMO eating some spinach with coconut oil and drinking the coffee black is the best way to go. You can't go wrong with spinach. I've had butter in chai tea before, it is definitely delicious, but if you have access to vegetables I'd put the butter on those instead.

So I say CICO is true, but somewhat misleading, and some calories are better than others for me and my lifestyle. And vegetables are better than no vegetables.
    If cutting carbs to a lower level causes you to feel less hungry and eat less overall, then I'd call that a win. Also, if doing so gives you more energy to move, then, well, awesome!

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast