Thread: Are canned sardines really OK? page

krsn89 is offline Member

Question Are canned sardines really OK?

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I know I have seen canned sardines being recommended on the board and I'm wondering if they're really OK, as I've been eating them for a loooong time (various brands).

The brand I like most is in a tomato sauce, and the ingredients are listed as :sardines, tomato paste (tomatoes, water, salt), water, salt. This doesn't look too sketchy but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to be concerned about the tomato paste. I don't want to seem obsessive but I eat sardines a couple times a week, 2-3 cans at a time.

Thank you!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I am pretty sure that somebody will pop up and say they may be bad for you, but don't listen to those scaremongers, nobody can live for ever anyway…

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Looks good to me. I use plain old tomato paste in soup all the time.

I know the feeling of blocking the aisle for an hour while reading seafood cans--they seem to vary quite a lot.

Lynx33 is offline Member
    Nothing beats fresh sardines...you can buy them frozen. Just a warning, you may want to cook them outside on the bbq because they really SMELL. your clothes will smell, and so will your skin for a day or two after cooking them . I love bbqing sardines and i dont mind the smell, I come from a portuguese background so we eat them a lot...mmm. They also taste a lot better than the canned ones. They taste nothing like the canned ones infact.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    In a pinch, I eat them.

I find that they tend to be canned in BPA-lined containers. Also, accumulation of histamines is not my cup of tea.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    They're ok as long as you check the ingredient list and they're not packed in soybean oil or any of the crap vegetables oils. I eat sardines with tomato sauce too, with soy sauce to enhance the flavor. I'm not giving up my soy sauce.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm concerned about BPA also. There are some manufacturers that are using bpa free cans. Other than that, I love those little guys. Since fresh works out to about 75% more cost wise, right now I'm sticking with canned.

Yesterday, my main meal consisted of two cans drained and then doused with mustard.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    I love most fish and seafood and regularly eat anchovies, but I just cannot get into sardines. Maybe I just haven't tried the right kind?

krsn89 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I actually like canned ones better than fresh (yeah, weird, I know). I didn't know that about the BPA. Thanks again everyone!