Thread: Timing of exercise to care for my high cortisol page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Timing of exercise to care for my high cortisol

Shop Now
    I recently had a saliva test done for my adrenals and my cortisol was normal in the morning and noon, but it doesn't drop in the evening like it's supposed to.
    Currently I am doing body weight ( like Primal Blueprint 20 min or under) exercises 2x a week and running 3 miles 1-2x per week. Now, if I didn't have a hormone imbalance this kind of routine wouldn't be bad, but I do have a few hormone imbalances.
    High cortisol ( in the evening)
    High androgens ( PCOS)
    Also dealing with H Pylori infection so that adds some inflammation

I am wanting to rework my exercise routine.
    Do you think it best to workout in the morning to avoid spiking my cortisol in the evening?
    I'm looking into yoga, the Dailey method, sprint 8.... I enjoy doing 5k mud runs so I want to keep strength..... But I also really need to reduce cortisol so my belly will release the fat stored there....and of course to help balance other hormones.

Thoughts?
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I read on Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet blog a number of times that he recommends all exercise be done during the day, not at night, because circadian rhythm is important to health and weight loss. We naturally seem to do better to move during the day and rest at night. I read this somewhere among these posts:
    Circadian Rhythm Therapy | Perfect Health Diet
    Exercise | Perfect Health Diet
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    I second the AM workout suggestion. Cortisol naturally peaks around 8-10am so you might aim to insert your workout during that time or close to it. Workouts later in the day, especially close to bed time, can bump up your cortisol when it should be dropping and when melatonin should be on its way up... doesn't bode well for recovery.

Also, I think you are on target with short workouts. Both short and long duration workouts will increase cortisol, but longer ones will push your cortisol up even more. If I was in your shoes, I would stick with the 20 minute workouts 2x per week and throw in some relaxing yoga or some other non-intense, non-stressful, energy building activity.

Hope you are getting lots of sleep

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the responses. I really appreciate them. I just ordered a Hatha yoga DVD. Sleep is getting better now that our youngest is sleeping through the night. Now it's up to my discipline of getting to bed earlier. I'm getting about 7 hours, usually waking around 4:30 briefly. Thanks again for the suggestions!
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal