Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lifting heavy page

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member

lifting heavy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is not another thread about should I lift heavy, I already know I should, and I do. But rather, what I witnessed at the gym today and how it put any slight doubt that might have been stuck in the back of my mind about 'getting bulky' to rest for good!

Usually there are no women lifting at my gym, but today this women (guessing late 40's or older, I'm really bad with ages) comes in and starts benching some weight! She threw the 45s on just to warm up. I'm thinking damn girl! What was so surprising about seeing her do it was that she wasn't very big. 5'5" tall or less, and very fit looking (no bulk, just extremely healthy). They way I think a lot of women would love to look. So she's going about kicking butt lifting weights and some guy comments that she lifts a lot of weight. Her response was "after doing it for 30 years you get good at it" in a nice polite way. Years of lifting weights and looks great! No bulk!

I thought it was cool, and I love seeing and hearing things like this, so thought I would share!

Aussie16 is offline Member
    That's excellent! Good on her! I hope to be lifting heavy weights well into my 50's!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Great story. I almost thought maybe it would be about me, but I'm not that good looking nor can I bench as much.

I had a young guy who works in the gym spot me once and after I missed and then complained that it's hard being an old, weak lady he said no don't say that, he'd been watching me over the months and been very impressed with how much I can bench and how I just come in there every week and bench a little more each time. Totally made my day.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    lift heavy stuff regularly works like a charm

great for osteoprosis prevention too

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I typically throw a fist bump or a quick "nice work" whenever I see a woman lifting heavy weight properly. It's so dang rare.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it funny how people think about weight lifting? Many women avoid it because they think it will make them too muscular, while at the same time millions of men try to do it at gyms all over the world, and fail.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    That's awesome. I want to be that lady in 30 years.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Loving it. I'm generally the only woman lifting weights in my gym, but I'm still very much work in progress. I'll get there someday - hopefully not too far away!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Inspiring, isn't it? I want to be her in a decade or so too!
    Obviously there are (very few) women who might bulk better than the others but it's such a shame this myth puts almost everyone off lifting. If only they knew what kind of backside they could get by squatting heavy!!! (I am thinking may be we should keep it a secret though - it's a competitive edge :P, just kidding)

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Isn't it funny how people think about weight lifting? Many women avoid it because they think it will make them too muscular, while at the same time millions of men try to do it at gyms all over the world, and fail.
    This is so true! I see men at the gym every day lifting weights, some look really good, but hardly any look too big, or even bulky themselves. Of course, there is always the exception, and there will be with women too.

After years spent in cardio classes, I recently found my way to the weight room. MDA and lifting heavy things has been a great influence! Not until I was in the weight room did I take a look around the gym and notice the people stuck on cardio machines look the same as they did 2 years ago for the most part, me included. The people in the weight room look better. If cardio people and weight people were separated into 2 groups and you had to pick a group to train with just going by appearance (without knowing their workouts) which group would you pick? The weightlifters for me.

The only thing making me bulky right now is the layer of fat covering my muscles. But each day I see a little bit more definition and that in itself is the greatest motivation to keep at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast