Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lifting heavy page 2

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Inspiring. I'm just getting started with lifting heavy at age 45. I can't wait until I'm in the gym at age 75 and get to tell someone, "after doing it for 30 years you get good at it!"

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKaren View Post
    Inspiring. I'm just getting started with lifting heavy at age 45. I can't wait until I'm in the gym at age 75 and get to tell someone, "after doing it for 30 years you get good at it!"
    Keep it up Karen, and don't let anyone tell ya differently. Both my girlfriend and I are 46, and we lift heavy(Crossfit) and have for several years. Good Luck:-)
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    I saw this woman at my gym today. Lone female form inhabiting the squat rack. She was doing proper ATG squats. I took a peak at the plates and she was squatting 80Ks. RESPECT. She was was not big at all. And boy those legs, my heart died several times!!
    Few but ripe.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 70in2012 View Post
    and boy those legs, my heart died several times!!
    this

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to bench heavy. Of course, I was heavier then. If only I hadn't gone down that wrong turn and ended up giving it up...

SDScot is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Great story. I almost thought maybe it would be about me, but I'm not that good looking nor can I bench as much.

I had a young guy who works in the gym spot me once and after I missed and then complained that it's hard being an old, weak lady he said no don't say that, he'd been watching me over the months and been very impressed with how much I can bench and how I just come in there every week and bench a little more each time. Totally made my day.
    This post makes me realize how often I "think" complimentary stuff without expressing it.

I'm going to make more of an effort to express positivity to others and "make their day"

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    This was posted on my FB wall this morning: Is this Australia's strongest mum? on MSN Video
    Apparently she's 51, can deadlift almost 4 times her own weight (which she says ranges from about 48-50kg, so she's pretty small) and she's not exactly covered in bulky muscles either (and she mentions something about how after training for 18 years, if she was going to get bulky she'd BE bulky!).

I've also seen some YouTube videos of women in the under 48kg category doing stuff like cleaning and jerking over 100kg... Wow. They're not exactly big girls (you CAN'T really be big and weigh that!).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    This was posted on my FB wall this morning: Is this Australia's strongest mum? on MSN Video
    Apparently she's 51, can deadlift almost 4 times her own weight (which she says ranges from about 48-50kg, so she's pretty small) and she's not exactly covered in bulky muscles either (and she mentions something about how after training for 18 years, if she was going to get bulky she'd BE bulky!).

I've also seen some YouTube videos of women in the under 48kg category doing stuff like cleaning and jerking over 100kg... Wow. They're not exactly big girls (you CAN'T really be big and weigh that!).
    It has to do with being small, not with being women. Guys who lift in the lower weight classes are small, too.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It has to do with being small, not with being women. Guys who lift in the lower weight classes are small, too.
    Well yeah, I know But the point stands that when you weigh 48kg you're not exactly going to be huge and bulky... and yet these are very strong women. The point I was making was more strength does not equal bulk, and you can be very strong and still very small!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Excellent story, thankyou. What an inspiration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast