Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite way to prepare sea vegetables? page

Antiochia is offline Senior Member

What is your favorite way to prepare sea vegetables?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anyone here tried sea vegetables? Made sea weed salad? Fixed a smoothie with sea greens in it? I would like to try some sea vegetables but don't know quite where to start. I've started to see them at the local food co-op, and we have a couple of Asian groceries close by. I'm looking for suggestions.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I open the dried packet and add it to water. After draining, I season it with sesame oil and a little sweetener.

Paleobird Guest
    I buy the Sea Tangle brand kelp noodles. You can use them cold straight out of the package to make a seaweed salad or heat them up with any number of different sauces as a pasta sub. Also great in asian style soups.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I open the dried packet and add it to water. After draining, I season it with sesame oil and a little sweetener.
    This, except for the sweetener. Really, sweetener in vegetables?? A little bit of tamari is good too
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

suzyq is offline Junior Member
    I eat Nori sheets right out of the package like potato chips or I cut them in to strips and add to soup or I chop the sheets up finely and sprinkle over stir-fried vegetables.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    This, except for the sweetener. Really, sweetener in vegetables?? A little bit of tamari is good too
    It's the traditional way of eating seaweed salad.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Sushi <3

That, and I just crush up nori for everything. My chilli mix for nachos has nori wrap in it, my omelettes have nori wraps in them, my white rice, veggies and salmon has nori wraps in them. Freaking nori wraps, baby.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i use nori sheets as wraps too. for scrambled eggs, salmon mashed with avocado, smoked oysters mashed with cream cheese and mustard, sardines with butter and hot sauce.

i put hijiki or wakame bits in bone broth with eggs most days.

put kombu sheets in my bone broth too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions -- looks like a good place to start will be Nori -- and go from there. I've heard about sea tangle kelp noodles, but can't find them around here. If I want to try them, looks like I'll have to order online. Kombu in the bone broth sounds interesting too. My son bought some Kombu, and its been sitting around here and I haven't known what to do with it.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Add kombu to any soup. It will add all kinds of good nutrients without effecting the taste.

I love some cucumber and seaweed salad. And, yes, it does normally require just a touch of sweetener but you can leave it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast