Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your favorite way to prepare sea vegetables? page 2

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I eat nori every day! I just wrap all my food up in it!! I love to eat with my hands so nori works perfectly.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Nori paper is manufactured from seaweed, but I don't consider anything less than whole dried, fresh, or frozen seaweed like wakame, etc, to be a "sea vegetable".

Faumdano is offline Member
    Regular nori is simply dried seaweed you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    Regular nori is simply dried seaweed you know...
    It is not a vegetable in the sense that you can cook with it, put it in soups or stews. I consider it processed. I eat it. But it's not like the seaweed I could pick up off the beach.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i can't pull butter directly out of a cow, but i don't consider that a processed food either.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

In my mind it's a stretch to call it a "vegetable". The only thing you can do with it is eat it straight. Put it in soup and..ick. Preparation ruins it.

I don't consider traditional fruit leather to be "fruit", nor rice paper to be "rice". But I eat nori.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    We eat dried dulse as a snack and in seafood soups. It's a delicious salty snack. When we vacation in New Brunswick I pick up a fresh bag of locally harvested dulse to replenish my supply.

Faumdano is offline Member
    The fresh version of the seaweed that nori is made from would behave exactly the same way -- it's fine and slimy when wet. If you want other ideas of what to use it for look at Japanese (or some Korean) recipes -- it's not just for sushi.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faumdano View Post
    The fresh version of the seaweed that nori is made from would behave exactly the same way -- it's fine and slimy when wet. If you want other ideas of what to use it for look at Japanese (or some Korean) recipes -- it's not just for sushi.
    Thank you!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I like dried sea vegetables. Just reconstitute in hot water, a little fish sauce, chilli, ginger and garlic, and whatever protein you have to hand: thinly sliced beef dropped in, shellfish, salmon, whatever. Yum!

I also like samphire, which is an estuary vegetable that is collected at low tide. Think tiny, salty asparagus. That, and something steaky, be it beef, tuna or swordfish.

Dried sea vegetables are also fun drained and some fried offals over: kidney, liver and heart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12