Thread: Struggling with inclines. page

Aussie16 is offline Member

Struggling with inclines.

Shop Now
    I wasn't sure where to post this question but here goes. So I walk a lot. I walk most nights (unless sick) from anywhere between 1-2 hours, I also walk to get to the supermarket or to do other shopping etc in general as I don't have a car and it's just easier to walk than to drive most of the time (heavy traffic).

Anyway my point is that I can happily walk for long distances as long as it's fairly flat ground, with a few inclines here and there.

Anyway yesterday husband and I went for a 8km/5mile walk most of which was up steep, muddy/icy fields, with big inclines and I found myself huffing and puffing all the way! I felt so out of shape even though I can easily do 8km walks on flat terrain!

So my question is other than getting on a treadmill and walking on an incline on that how can I build up my cardio when it comes to doing things like this? I HATE the treadmill so was wondering if there was any other way!

Thanks!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Just keep walking uphill outside. Do the same 5-mile walk you did yesterday until it becomes easy. When it's no longer icy out, add in some hill sprints.

peril is offline Senior Member
    It could be more serious than just being unfit. I had trouble with inclines before I had a heart attack. See if you can get your GP to order a stress echocardiogram
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Just do it more. My DH is 6'3" and I'm 5'5". He can walk the pants off me going uphill but I whup him on flat and downhill. I've been walking all winter and doing lots of hill work, though, and hopefully this year I'll be able to keep up with him on the uphills.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Go hiking in the mountains as much as you can. If you don't have mountains, keep urban hiking outside. You'll get stronger at this quickly. Soon you may even find that hiking uphill is easier than down and faster is easier than slower. If conditions really are treacherous and icy, consider some trekking poles for stability.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    you could get a weighted vest for the flat walks.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Learn to use/activate your glutes- the big muscles in the back of your leg that straighten out your hip. It's possible to walk and even run long distances without really using them, but not up hills, and not when sprinting.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Squats.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Squats.
    That would be the best way, yes.

Aussie16 is offline Member
    Ahhh cheers for all your responses! Yes I'm doing a lot of squats! So good to hear those will help!

Not much in the way of hilly inclines around here, so if I want inclines it will have to be on the treadmill... YUCK! Squats sound better to me