Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N-3 and n-6 ratio and the result of fat vs carbs on body composition? page

Fig50 is offline Junior Member

N-3 and n-6 ratio and the result of fat vs carbs on body composition?

Primal Fuel
    Morning everyone. I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could comment on. I was wondering if trying to balance omega 3 to 6 ratios to 1:1 is practical if even possible, and if so where did this originate from? A quick look at the average ratios of certain food groups is as follows; walnuts are 1:4 and they have the best ratio over all commonly consumed, though they are absurdly high in PUFAs, which would clearly make macadamia nuts superior in regards to the subject in question. Beans are roughly 1-1, the majority of seeds, corn, soybeans and grains pretty much don't get better than 1-10, fruit ~1-2, while vegetables can vary around 2-1. Poultry is around 1-14, and that's goose fat. Grass-fed beef is about 1-2 (with low PUFAs) and salmon is about 12-1. The majority of food sources clearly have more omega 6 than 3, but is it worth worrying about so long as you don't have health issues concerning the matter? Personally, I only live near a walmart (yeah I know) so I don't shop there and go to the albertson's across the street instead, but they're only so limited in their variety (so no grass fed or pasture products, only about 10% organic food :/) which means chicken, eggs, turkey, and wild seafood (sardines and salmon preferably) are my staples in regards to animal protein.

Secondly, I was wondering what the changes in body composition would be between someone who consumes.. lets say the fat/protein/carb ratio is (55/25/20) compared to (25/20/55) with most of the carbs NOT coming from sugar?

Personally I don't advocate calorie counting, stressing over precise macronutrient ratios, etc. but knowing what foods contain is definitely good information to have.
    Last edited by Fig50; 04-02-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Just avoid high omega 6 foods like oils. If you can't afford grass fed meat then eat what you can get - that's what I do. To answer your second question, calories affect body compostion not specific macros.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    To the first question, I agree with Darz. Once you eliminate seed oils and focus on better fat just eat some fish each week (about a pound) and let the chips fall where they may.

On the second... I kinda disagree. Macros will affect composition. Calories will affect weight. The macro bit seems to be quite individual though and even sometimes changes for the same individual at times.

Well, it's true, macros will vary depending on the individual, as well as type of training but a calorie surplus or deficit will determine whether you get fat / muscle or the opposite.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Just how will a calorie surplus determine whether a person puts on fat or muscle if macros are ignored?

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Just how will a calorie surplus determine whether a person puts on fat or muscle if macros are ignored?
    ...amount of exercise?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumifer View Post
    ...amount of exercise?
    How does exercise increase muscle building in the absence of consumption of adequate protein?

True, one needs sufficent amount of protein as well as a proper exercise program to gain muscle but you'll still have to be in a surplus to gain it or fat for that matter.

Fig50 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Just avoid high omega 6 foods like oils. If you can't afford grass fed meat then eat what you can get - that's what I do. To answer your second question, calories affect body compostion not specific macros.
    Yeah, besides the fats I get from meats it's usually evoo, avocados, mac nuts, butter and ghee for me.. the typical. So as I thought before, it's pretty much about fish and limiting PUFAs; such as those in most vegetable oils - that actually matters.

About the fat vs carb question.. the requirements for muscle is protein and water. Whatever doesn't get used by muscle, organs, or isn't used for energy, etc is stored as fat. My question is do equal amount of calories from fat or carb both end up with the same result?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig50 View Post
    Yeah, besides the fats I get from meats it's usually evoo, avocados, mac nuts, butter and ghee for me.. the typical. So as I thought before, it's pretty much about fish and limiting PUFAs; such as those in most vegetable oils - that actually matters.

About the fat vs carb question.. the requirements for muscle is protein and water. Whatever doesn't get used by muscle, organs, or isn't used for energy, etc is stored as fat. My question is do equal amount of calories from fat or carb both end up with the same result?
    Ahh, the question that keeps coming back. Its going to depend on your current metabolic and hormonal state along with the frequency and type of exercise and DLA's that you are performing. I think thats sufficiently ambiguous enough to be considered the correct answer .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast