Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N-3 and n-6 ratio and the result of fat vs carbs on body composition? page 2

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig50 View Post

About the fat vs carb question.. the requirements for muscle is protein and water. Whatever doesn't get used by muscle, organs, or isn't used for energy, etc is stored as fat. My question is do equal amount of calories from fat or carb both end up with the same result?
    If the amount of calories is the same then the results in terms of body composition will be the same.
    Last edited by Darz; 04-02-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Fig50 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    If the amount of calories is the same then the results in terms of body composition will be the same.
    250 calories from sugars and or starch would be the same as 250 calories from fats? Is there a particular reason I hear of people cutting out bread to reduce fat around their stomach or is this just in vain when all they need is a caloric deficit?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    250 calories from sugars and or starch would be the same as 250 calories from fats? Is there a particular reason I hear of people cutting out bread to reduce fat around their stomach or is this just in vain when all they need is a caloric deficit?
    You can't choose where to lose fat. To lose fat, wherever it may be, you have to be in a deficit.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    About the fat vs carb question.. the requirements for muscle is protein and water. Whatever doesn't get used by muscle, organs, or isn't used for energy, etc is stored as fat. My question is do equal amount of calories from fat or carb both end up with the same result?
    The issue is that the "3500 calories per pound" bit assumes that equal weights of muscle mass and fat mass represent the same number of calories. But they don't.

A pound of human body fat contains fewer than 3500 calories, given that it contains some protein and fluid weight. To transform dietary intake into body fat is an inherently inefficient process. There is energy loss. So is it likely that it might require a total of 3500 calories in energy to complete the process? Sure.

A pound of lean muscle mass (as round roast) contains 660 calories. Let's say you eat that as a 1 pound steak in addition to your normal equilibrium diet, having put in the killer exercise your body needs to stimulate muscle gain. You have already given your body the building blocks it needs to create a pound of muscle mass. All that is needed is the energy input to transform it from raw materials to muscle. 2840 calories of energy would be necessary? Likely not.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that a 1:4 ratio O-3:O-6 is adequate and that the total quantity of O-6 is probably more important than the exact ratio you achieve.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have heard that a 1:4 ratio O-3:O-6 is adequate and that the total quantity of O-6 is probably more important than the exact ratio you achieve.
    This. Too many people focus on supplementing O3 to achieve some magic balance with their O6. I would say to focus on bringing down the excess O6 (no seed oils, grass fed meats if at all possible) and be sure to include some seafood in your diet. This way your overall PUFA consumption will stay low. Good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12