Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conventional eggs okay if I toss the yolks? page 2

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The yolks are not "nasty" - so I can't see any reason to toss them away, except that you want less energy from them! Yes, I also toss some of them out sometimes, but that's because I wan't more of something else into my diet...
    It is a personal preference to eat a higher carb/lower fat paleo diet. So in my case, tossing some of the yolks allows me to add more potatoes to my diet. Also, I think conventional egg yolks taste disgusting compared to pastured yolks. Same thing with grass-fed beef over grain-fed beef.

idk what I was thinking asking this question in high fat dogma land though....so nevermind.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Not nasty, but sort of pale and flaccid. A yolk from my local farmer, on the other hand, is a bright, beautiful yellow-orange orb of nutrition.
    Must be in your place, here the yolks are still bright yellow...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Must be in your place, here the yolks are still bright yellow...
    Yeah, Supermarket-brand white-shelled eggs in my part of the world are sad facsimiles of the real thing.

To the OP: Egg Yolks aren't just a good source of fat and cholesterol. They're full of vitamin A and choline, which your potatoes lack. It's not high fat dogma, it's nutrient-density dogma. If you are positive that you have all your nutritional bases covered, then why even ask the question?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, Supermarket-brand white-shelled eggs in my part of the world are sad facsimiles of the real thing.

To the OP: Egg Yolks aren't just a good source of fat and cholesterol. They're full of vitamin A and choline, which your potatoes lack. It's not high fat dogma, it's nutrient-density dogma. If you are positive that you have all your nutritional bases covered, then why even ask the question?
    I asked the question because I wanted to make sure there wasn't any downside to consuming the yolks of sickly, grain-fed hens confined to cubicles all day every day.

I eat fish daily, and liver maybe once a week. Throwing out some yolks is not going to leave me malnourished, I assure you. I seem to recall somebody mentioning a study or stating that conventional eggs were shown to have a negative impact on blood lipids when compared to pastured eggs.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    People can train themselves to dislike anything they desire to dislike. The idea that the yolks of supermarket eggs are "nasty" while the whites are healthful, whole food is rather contrived.

Lumifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    ...grain-fed hens
    Hens are not cows. It's normal for them to eat a lot of seeds and grains. For the same reason there's no such thing a "pastured eggs" -- there are eggs of free-range hens which still eat a lot of grain.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Eat the yolks! Whites are just...BLECCCCHHHHHHHHH
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Eat the yolks! Whites are just...BLECCCCHHHHHHHHH
    Most convincing argument yet.

I give up. Let my thread die please. I forgot how worthless this board is.

patski is offline Senior Member
    You do realize we're only pushing egg yolks because they're supremely nutrient dense, right?

I'm not a high fat aficionado. But hey, if you like egg-white omelettes, go crazy. You don't need our approval, especially if we're so USELESS.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast