Thread: Daily meals for someone lazy/busy - advice? page

carrotFlowers is offline Junior Member

Daily meals for someone lazy/busy - advice?

Hi all

So this is my ... 4th attempt at going Primal, having failed each time before. Lack of planning and prep was the main reason for my failures in the past. As such I've come up with and tried a general day-to-day plan for what I will eat that makes it very simple for me (the more effort/cooking/prep/washing-up needed the more likely I will fail due to lack of time/tiredness). But as I'm still very new to this I'd like someone to have a look at it and tell me areas where it could be improved, or at least if it's an acceptable starting point for me?

Breakfast: Smoothie with coconut milk, almond butter, egg yoke, chocolate whey protein powder, water - simple because I can whisk it instead of needing a blender which is a pain to wash.

Lunch: Salad and meat selected from a shop near my work (always fresh from that shop - and I can avoid packing a lunch/prep)

Dinner: Either a big pot of soup (meat, veg, spices, etc.) will have been made to last half the week and I'll eat some of this, or I'll throw some meat and veg in to roast with a good helping of butter (I decided to consume butter for now)

Snack: Another smoothie (same as above) - will look in to adding more snack food options in the future as well.

So I'm wondering if it's ok to get 600+ of your calories in a day from coconut milk (2 smoothies taking up 1 tin which is about 615 calories). Am I eating enough meat/veg?

Is this a good enough starting point (if I get going and can be successful I can then adjust in the future as I see fit - I really just wanted to make something that I thought I could do as easy as possible to start with - I am super busy with too much work and college at the moment to do much better).

Any obvious pitfalls?

Thanks a lot!

Oh yeah I'm a 29 year old female, would like to lose about 15 pounds - if that makes any difference. Thanks again.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Get thyself a magic bullet or any other up-side down cup blender. No pain washing it, and it makes one cup at a time.
    As for your menu, there is nothing wrong with it, save for it might be cheaper and tastier for you to buy a bag of pre-cut veggies and a can of good fish or brown a huge tray of ground beef, store it in the fridge for the week and top your salad that way. And, yeah, I would also boil a dozen of eggs on the weekend and use them in soups and salads or for breakfast.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    lunch and dinner look fine, but i never found liquid meals very satisfying. while you're making your soup bake a crustless quiche or frittata-type thing, portion and freeze. eat that for breakfast.

what's wrong with butter?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

krsn89 is offline Member
    Baking a frittata is a great idea, it keeps in the fridge for the week. You can also scramble a bunch of eggs on Sundays (or whatever day) and cook up some sausages, keep that in the fridge and reheat every morning. I would prefer these choices to a smoothie. Whole rotisserie chickens are fairly cheap (where I live anyways) and can last a few days. You can also choose a day to cook up meats like chicken, pork chops, beef roast, whatever, and then just keep them for the week. I usually have a big container of pre-made spring mix or some sort of salad mix in the fridge as well. If you don't have one, maybe looking into getting a slow cooker would help, so you can start something in the morning and it can be done by the time you're home.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm pretty lazy myself.

Here's what I do.

Breakfast: Fried (in ghee) Bacon, 3 Eggs plus optional ingredients - Mushrooms, Zucchinis, Capsicums, Kale, Chicken Liver with raw Tomatoes, Avocado, Lettuce
    Simple because the fry pan doesn't need to be cleaned unless something burns onto it.

Dinner prep at breakfast time: Chuck some fatty meat in the slow cooker with potatoes, onions, garlic, spices to taste and a splash of balsamic vinegar, and turn on to low.

Lunch: Nothing (the fatty breakfast keeps me going)

Dinner: Steam some carrots and broccoli, and shred the slow cooker meat with a pair of forks. Serve.

Snacks: 2 pcs Dark Chocolate. Or if I'm hungry, a microwaved banana + chocolate pc with cream poured on it. (Although snacks aren't the path to weight loss....)

This seems like less work to me than what you currently do, and it's more food too
    Last edited by magicmerl; 04-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Replies

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the suggestion for the magic bullet - I'd never heard of them! I will most likely get one
    I really prefer to have something I don't need to cook for breakfasts, also as I was addicted to cereals before I just can't face meat, veg or eggs in the mornings yet. I tried omelettes before and they made me feel sick every morning. I'll stick with a nice thick smoothie for now and consider making changes later on if I feel the need. I think having a smoothie which is quite different from the rest of the meals of the day helps as well as I don't get sick of eating all meat and vegetables in various forms.

I will probably take on board some of these ideas or at least try them out. I do have a slow cooker which is underused. So that's another thing.

Thanks again.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    you could just skip breakfast if you're not up for "real" food. are you actually truly hungry?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Unfortunately I get migraines if I skip meals at the moment. Not looking to be perfect ... not yet. Just looking to succeed with what I *do* try. Thanks.