Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The cons of a high protein diet? The face, skin and beauty on Primal diet page 8

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here:Meet Gillian McKeith - YouTube

Nigella Lawson on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 2 - YouTube

These women are both the same age ...
    the video of Nigella was uploaded a few months ago, while Gillian's video was uploaded 2 years ago.

The comparison of these 2 women has been criticised, but it's not the only such example I can think of.
    Yeah Gillian definitely looks a lot older. you don't fully know what these two do in their lives to compare. It could also be genetics. Some people just age better than others. I have friends my age, a year younger and older but they all have wrinkles and gray hair while I don't.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Thats a silly definition of the word excess in this context, LOL. Seriously, should we consider every ingested gram of carbohydrate excess because it is "more than what is sufficient"?

I think you may want to adopt a more biologically relevant meaning that is backed by scientific understanding, such as that sbhikes posted.

And seriously without context of what you are doing day in and out and if you are in a caloric surplus or a deficit are obvious variables that have to be accounted for.
    Well excess of any macro over a long time isn't great but protein creates more metabolic waste.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
    Meat and eggs are not good for aging? Why do you say this if you are Primal?
    I didn't say that. I said I don't think the amount some paleo dieters eat is a good anti aging strategy. Especially when crowding out other diverse foods.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    Yeah Gillian definitely looks a lot older. you don't fully know what these two do in their lives to compare. It could also be genetics. Some people just age better than others. I have friends my age, a year younger and older but they all have wrinkles and gray hair while I don't.
    Good point. Everything counts, including genetics and circumstances.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    When I was in my 20s I went to a wedding with my ex where we ran into some friends of his who we had not seen for about 5 years. One was a woman our age who had suddenly developed crepey dry wrinkled skin. I would say it was the skin of a 50 year old, but now that I'm in that age range my skin doesn't look anywhere like that. The girl smoked and roasted in the sun and it caught up with her fast.

But as far as excess protein consumption, what would Grok have done?

When the folks back at the cave were hungry and he brought home a haunch of mammoth, would they have restrained themselves and been careful not to eat too much protein? No. They'd have gorged themselves until they couldn't eat another bite, then slept for days, as any good predator would. And our ancestors would have done this every damned time over millions of years.

I'm skeptical about the "dangers" of eating excess protein. I know if I were to even try to reach and maintain the top of the recommended range, it would so sate me with protein that I wouldn't be able to eat any meat for days.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i find protein to be pretty self-limiting also -- especially fattier kinds, like salmon and red meat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I find the leaner kinds to be self-limiting as well. You really know when you've had all you can stand. And honestly, I never understood this until recently, some of us really do need a lot more protein than others. I understand now that I'm chunky not just because I gain fat easily but also because I'm fairly muscular, even without a whole lot of strength. I deprived myself of protein for most of my adult life believing for a while that it was cruel, that it was not necessary and that it was fattening. I was very wrong. The RDA might say 60g is more than adequate but I'm healthier with more than that.

My skin sucks because I'm of Scandinavian origin born and raised in Southern California and I hate sunscreen.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

sarah13 is offline Junior Member
    I have no idea how much protein I need to be honest, i'm slim build but could do with gaining some more muscle, so I guess I need to eat more protein? I have quite a lot of strength though, but would like more definition

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678