Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The cons of a high protein diet? The face, skin and beauty on Primal diet page 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The idea is the cyclisity. So you do not change back, but follow a cycle if, say, a vegan week with a few weeks of meat eating in between works wonders for your skin or hair or whatever. I am sure in the ancestral diet, weeks of protein intake alternated with weeks on greens and fruit. It seems that human body changes in response to change, as it is highly adaptable and settle in status quo. Plus, psychologically it is better to eat up a garden without dreading extra pounds if you just add extra fruit in!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    In the summer you probably need less fat than in the winter.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
    Interesting responses, thank you. I guess it is all about balancing the acid from meat with healthy veg and doses of green smoothies!
    Your body will maintain your pH within a very narrow range. No need to "balance out" anything with diet. It just won't work:
    Your Urine is Not a Window to Your Body: pH Balancing – A Failed Hypothesis | Science-Based Pharmacy

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Dear Mark,
    sorry, but mark doesn't generally participate here.

I recently read a book by well-known nutritionist
    this should have been your first clue to not waste money on the book

called The Beauty Detox Foods,
    this should have been your second. the body detoxes all by itself. we evolved as ominvores, not bird-food eaters.

you know the women who look preternaturally old? those starving themselves to smitheeerens on vegan, low-fat diets.

my hair, skin and nails have never been healthier in my life.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yes you are definitely right, I just wondered - how do you eat enough fat without getting all the protein that you would get from eating fatty meat? Do you eat a lot of cheese, olive oil etc on salads, avocado, nuts etc?
    Cook your food in fat. I use Ghee, but lard is also great, and Olive Oil is decent.

Avocado, hemp (not flax - its not on fit day), and quinoa - and tonight i'll have some meat like chicken or lamb or whatever - can this be all bad? I don't see the need to panic if you don't eat meat for lunch....just sayin'!
    You don't need to eat lunch at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    we always say it but...
    eat more fat
    +1. The carb and fat ratios should be reversed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    If her whole argument is your initial post then its all bunk. Just ignore that silliness. Protein is vital and its very hard to eat too much of it. Have it with every meal for beautiful skin and longevity.
    Yep.

Just to add a disclaimer here (not to Neckhammer's point, this is my own). The WORST diet you can eat is a high protein, low carb, low fat diet (also known as rabbit starvation). This diet is worse than high carb, low fat, low protein (aka vegan) diet. Which is worse than HFLCLP.

Basically, you should eat protein until you feel like you have had 'enough' (which usually maxes out at around 30% of calories). Your body will tell you when, just listen to it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    that's the key alright

listen to when your brain receives the 'satisfied' signal, then stop eating

until you feel hungry again, then eat til satisfied

babies and young children eat like this all the time, they stop feeding automatically when they get the satisfied signal- I mean ever seen a kid resisting that last spoonful while mum tries desperately to get them to take it? The kid is already satisfied and does not need he last spoonful so resists.

That's it!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    where's the science to support her claims?
    Again with the science...

sarah13 is offline Junior Member
    Wow the replies on here have been really interesting I need to use this forum more often! As you can probably tell i'm very new to the Primal lifestyle...still learning. Noodletoy - I didnt read or buy the book I found an article on DailyMail today about her and thought i'd bring it up as I used to read her blog a lot, thats interesting magicmerl that you say my carb and fat ratios need to be reversed, I will start to try and eat more fat, I take coconut oil by the spoonful daily but stop at 1tbs, i think i just need to start drizzling it on my meals and cooking with it. I find breakfast hard since i'm always on the run and have to make it at work so usually have sheeps milk yoghurt as its higher in fat and creamier, or 2 hard boiled eggs and avocado or a handful of nuts. I never eat meat in the mornings as i just dont have time to cook it and tbh dont feel like it first thing. chia and hemp seeds are high in fat and protein btw...i drizzle them over my salads as well as oil. Interesting comments about people being told they look way younger than their age, will keep this in mind!!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    grain of salt with daily fail.

not having breakfast is no big deal. i only eat once or twice per day. that being said a handful of nuts isn't a meal at my house.

since you basically poop those seeds undigested, how much protein do you really think your body is absorbing from them?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Again with the science...
    if you are going to make claims like those in the OP, then you ought to be able to back them up

otherwise anyone could make anything up and we are back in the Middle Ages again

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast