Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The cons of a high protein diet? The face, skin and beauty on Primal diet page 3

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    Having only been here a few days I must say I am amazed how many people are counting their fat, protein and carbs

I have not read the Primal Blueprint book. Is counting recommended in there?

I've been high fat low carb for 20+ years and never counted, I just mentally portion the food but I could not tell you my numbers

I just listen to my body and stop eating when satisfied. Can always tell if I haven't had enough fat as I get hungry within a couple of hours, normally have some coconut then
    I don't count. I don't know how to count. I have no patience for counting.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    I don't count. I don't know how to count. I have no patience for counting.
    yeah right? I mean the whole thing about primal eating is self regulation, you end up voluntarily regulating quantity which is why I have never counted

good to hear others are likewise
    Last edited by Katsuhiko the Rolfer; 04-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Frankly, I find all these seed diets as natural as communism.

yes the pre historic people scrabbling around for seeds and nuts undoubtedly did worse than the folk with large herds of wild animals to hunt and plentiful supplies of good meat and fat

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If her whole argument is your initial post then its all bunk. Just ignore that silliness. Protein is vital and its very hard to eat too much of it. Have it with every meal for beautiful skin and longevity.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
    Dear Mark,

I recently read a book by well-known nutritionist Kimberly Snyder, called The Beauty Detox Foods, and in it she says “digesting animal protein creates all sorts of bi products in the body, like purines and ammonia products.

Digestion of any macronutrient requires mechanical and chemical breakdown and absorption resulting in bi products that will likely be recycled or excreted... protein is no exception to the rule

These are absorbed into your blood stream and circulate through the body. When your blood is clogged with toxins it cant circulate as many beautifying minerals, and these toxins can age and clog the skin cells of your face.

Vague claims like this are quite suspect unless she can name specific "beautifying minerals" and by what mechanism they impart such beauty... then name the toxins and the mechanisms by which they inhibit these beauties from working.

Furthermore, excessive protein consumption overworks the lvier and kidneys.

Bullshit... not supported by evidence. Then again it can be "correct", because the definition of excess is too much. But, that just means too much of anything is bad for your liver and kidneys. So if we are vague and evasive enough its technically correct.

Ammonia, which is a breakdown product of a high-flesh food diet, is a direct toxin to the body.

The dose makes the poison and within the normal consumption of protein (which by my definition is any amount anyone on this board is consuming from whole food sources) ammonia is well within normal physiological ranges of health and capacity to eliminate it. This argument just don't work in biological systems without context. Only a sith lord deals in absolutes

It has been found to create free-radical damage and cross-linking (a process associated with wrinkles and ageing). Yet increased consumption of whey protein upregulates your bodies strongest antioxidant glutathione yielding a net antioxidant effect. Again take the whole picture in context into account.

Ketosis, which may result out of a low carb diet, makes the blood acidic. An acidic body tends to age faster. Citation needed

Take a look at people who are on high protein, low carb diets and see for yourself. These people tend to look “hardened” and older than they are, which is what I call the “old-skinny” look when the skin has lost all its youthfulness.”

Do I even have to respond to that nonsense?

Kimberly says that if you must eat animal protein, eat it once a day at the most and at dinnertime, so that during the day your body’s energy is not wasted on digesting animal protein and can be used for detoxing, cleansing and free to create beauty and energy.

Recommendations from a vegan trying to convert flesh eaters.

I just wondered what you think of this? I know that the Primal diet is all about balance, but a lot of the meals at breakfast and lunch and dinner do focus on animal protein and I just thought i’d raise this controversial issue….!

What I make of it is in bold.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-02-2013 at 11:08 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
    I recently read a book by well-known nutritionist Kimberly Snyder...
    The problem is in the first sentence.

patski is offline Senior Member
    More anti-meat propaganda from the seed-munching hippies.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't know why, but most skin health books recommend all fruit and vegetable diets basically for a few days once in a while. I don't think it hurts to try to go pure raw veggies and fruit for a week or two particular in the summer when there is fresh local seasonal fruit/berries are abundant. I keep wanting to do that, but always get derailed when I cook for my folks, and make salmon or chicken. Dunno. Don't think it is a bad idea, but not sure if it will improve skin condition and give you glorious glowing look!

If I finally decide to take a plunge, I will post, and maybe make pictures to see if skin improves in 7 days of raw vegan.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    see if you make a dramatic change then things will certainly react so before and after photos only confirm the reaction to the change - what happens when you change back?

No, the trick is to eat the things that convince your genes that everything is right with the world, and to eat them in a manner which supports those genes in providing optimal health

find a combination of foods, exercise, fluid consumption, sleep etc that provokes optimal health in general

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast