Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reset Leptin Sensitivity WITHOUT Dr. Kruse method? page

mila is offline Junior Member

Reset Leptin Sensitivity WITHOUT Dr. Kruse method?

For the past 11 months I have been following (99%) of Mark's advice on Paleo living. I was feeling better than ever and I was maintaining my weight loss from the hCG protocol. I was getting a little (ok, more than a little) frustrated because I hate my body composition. It is the same as my fat body only smaller, despite lifting heavy things, taking long, slow runs (never exceeding 65% of max heart rate, except when sprinting), sprinting, getting sufficient sleep, etc... My only deviation was the occasional consumption of small amounts of rice. I was actually feeling great. Really great.

When I read that my body composition could be a result of leptin resistance I thought, "hm, this is probably the problem."

I am unable to get the tests that are recommended as I live in the middle of nowhere Chile and we have socialized medicine here, so if I want these tests I have to pay 100% out of pocket and I simply do not have the money. Period. No amount of berating me about my health being more important than anything else, because the funds simply do NOT exist.

So, I tried the leptin reset and almost immediately felt worse. Profuse sweating all day long the first few days that lasted overnight, disrupting my once un-disruptable sleep. I've become headachy and my sinus allergies have returned along with arthritis pain that I have not experienced in over a year.

I'm not sure if that's part of the process in the initial stages or if that is a sign that I'm making a massive mistake and that I should just go back to doing things Mark's way?

Thoughts, anyone?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have not tried the leptin reset. However, I have read before that people have mixed results with it, not a lot of clear success.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Couple questions:

How many calories do you take in a day?
    Have you shown improvement in the 3 types of exercises, sprinting, slow cardio, heavy lifting?
    Have you been doing a rounded primal diet to get all of your mico nutrients? DHA/EPA, k2, trace minerals.
    What are you doing exactly for your leptin reset?

To answer your question, some people do not feel good for a week or two trying to do a leptin reset. But those are usally because they are coming off a SAD diet. You should not be having any problems with 11 months of primal under your belt.

otzi Guest
    Don't feel left out--there are no tests for 'leptin resistance'. I think the best parts of the Leptin Reset were the advice to get good sleep, try to get some sunshine into your eyes as early in the morning as possible, eat breakfast as soon as you can after you wake up, and avoid blue lights (or light in general) after about 7 pm. These 4 steps supposedly help set the circadian rhythms to favor leptin sensitivity.

The eating a huge protein breakfast may be helpful to some, but I think all it really does is fill you up early so you are not eating more later.

Just eating a bigger than normal breakfast and calling it a leptin reset is wishful thinking.

More than likely, leptin is not your problem, but may tie in with your problem. If you can get you diet in good shape--which it sounds like you have, your sleep, exercise, and weight--your leptin should follow.

Thanks, everyone. I haven't a clue as to how many calories I eat each day during the leptin reset as we are instructed not to count them.

I agree that I shouldn't be experiencing some of these problems after 11 months of primal. I was just concerned that I might be leptin resistant because my body composition wasn't changing. I didn't/don't need to lose any weight but I really don't like having a flabby tummy or flabby inner thighs. Maybe I was just too impatient?

For many months I was following Mark's advice to eat when hungry and don't eat when you're not. That seemed to serve me very well. I had been sleeping really well--always waking up a few minutes before my alarm went off--and feeling bright and alert upon waking.

I guess frustration kicked in when I didn't see the muscular changes kick in. I've decided to call an end to the leptin reset and go back to Mark's way of doing things.

Oh, yes, I do get several hours of sunshine each day and I know my macronutrients had been good as well. Also, my exercise time has to be during the hours of 9-11 AM, as I live in the desert and it just becomes dangerously hot after that time. The only thing I can think of that may have stopped me from reaching an optimal condition during the past 11 months was the amount of fruit I'd been eating. Probably too much. Guess I'll have to back off them a bit.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    The eating a huge protein breakfast may be helpful to some, but I think all it really does is fill you up early so you are not eating more later.

Just eating a bigger than normal breakfast and calling it a leptin reset is wishful thinking.
    i've seen many women on other boards gain weight with this protocol and kruse likes to blame leptin for everything. reading enough of his stuff you'd think it's at fault for global warming, for pete's sake.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Did you ever get into ketosis? Its possible that you are not fully fat-adapted and when you run into a caloric deficient, you are not burning fat the way a fully fat-adapted person would.

What is your heavy lifting?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Did you ever get into ketosis? Its possible that you are not fully fat-adapted and when you run into a caloric deficient, you are not burning fat the way a fully fat-adapted person would.
    Yes, the OP's symptoms sound like carb flu to me. The rice may have been enough to keep the body fully in carb burning mode until the high protein JK breakfasts tipped the fat ratio toward keto.

I don't think the leptin reset is magic but it has two really good pieces of common sense wisdom involved, eat a big protein brekki w/o carbs, and no snacking between meals.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has the fruit intake diminished during the Leptin reset?

I just looked up Arica...looks like a nice beach town

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast