Thread: Yogurt making ? page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Yogurt making ?

Shop Now
    I'm trying the Specific Carb Diet to get a handle on some gut issues. The author suggests making your own yogurt with three specific cultures - Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus (optional). The one brand that has these cultures (and carried locally) is only sold in 32 oz and is pretty pricey. I only need 1/2 cup of the store bought per batch of homemade yogurt. If I freeze the store bought yogurt does anyone know if the cultures will still be as viable after defrosting?

Thanks

Faumdano is offline Member
    As long as you're at least a little careful when you serve the yoghurt from whatever container you choose to culture it in, you can continually reuse the last bit of the last batch to make the new batch; I haven't bought new yoghurt to seed my homemade batches for well over a year now. It is possible that the strains of bacteria / yeasts might change over time, but I would imagine they would only increase in variety (the lactic acid producing / tolerating species dominating of course).

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You can't freeze yogurt, it will kill the cultures and all the parts of the yogurt will get separated and grainy (milk product, whey). [edit] see posts below, apparently I'm wrong.

Just buy the store bought and then use your homemade as the starter. I always set aside 1/2 cup after I made each batch so it was ready for the next batch. Each 1/2 gallon of yogurt I made (from 1/2 gallon of pasteurized milk) lasted me about a week, if I could restrain myself.

I've read that you need to start with a fresh store bought "starter" periodically. I don't know why the strains don't last from homemade ones. It would probably work just fine with raw milk, if you have access to that, however, since it has its own natural bacteria still.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 04-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I'd take the plunge on the store bought one at first. You can use the left overs to sample side-by-side.

M.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I make my own yoghurt, and definitely freeze some of each batch as the next starter. I've been doing this now for about 5 years, and have never had an issue with the frozen starter not working. Whilst it goes grainy in the bottom of the pot when it defrosts, it doesn't seem to affect the yoghurt itself in any way ....

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    I make my own yoghurt, and definitely freeze some of each batch as the next starter. I've been doing this now for about 5 years, and have never had an issue with the frozen starter not working. Whilst it goes grainy in the bottom of the pot when it defrosts, it doesn't seem to affect the yoghurt itself in any way ....
    Huh, I would not have thought that would work. Good to know!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    The problem is I can't eat the store bought one as a part of the SCD (this also explains why yogurt in the past makes me really bloated I guess ). The recipe for the diet is a 24 hour ferment which (a) uses up the lactose and (b) makes a nice probiotic source. I don't want to have to buy a $5 container of "starter" each time. The book also specifically said that using a bit of your own last batch wasn't good for starting new batches... I don't have the book in front of me and don't remember why. I just put 5 little baggies of the expensive store one in the freezer - I'll give it a shot in a few days and report back Thanks for the tips!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Not that you asked but I've helped a lot of people with gut issues and GAPS has helped more than SCD, IME.

For yogurt, you can just order a starter from Cultures for Health and use the yogurt you make as the next starter.

tong806 is offline Junior Member
    If you want to save some current batch yogurt for your next time use, freeze yogurt will not hurt the yogurt starter. But the freeze yogurt for eating will not good, because after you defrost yogurt, it will like dregs, will not taste good. So do not freeze yogurt for eating.

I make my yogurt for years, and I never failed, I started from slow cooker yogurt, now I am using jars to make each batch, so I don't have to transfer them to containers after each batch. My original yogurt starter was Danono plain yogurt, I saved one small bottle of yogurt for my next batch, and this I have been test over a year now, I didn't buy a new Danono plain yogurt to exchange the starter.

You can also find yogurt starter at Cultures For Health, they have many different yogurt starters: Direct-set yogurt-starter, Reusable heirloom-variety yogurt-starter and Reusable yogurt-starter (no yogurt maker needed).

I have been used the vegan yogurt starter from Cultures for Health, the starter works great for my soy milk, almond milk, black bean milk and coconut milk.

I think I am a yogurt person, I can eat dairy yogurt and non dairy yogurt. I enjoy them, and I feel so lucky.

Make you own homemade yogurt save lots of money and eat healthy.