Thread: Need some tips starting page

Dgr_874 is offline Member

Need some tips starting

Primal Fuel
    I am looking to put into writing somewhat of a daily bluprint for what to eat. So far i have come up with the following.

breakfast
    3 eggs anyway
    bacon
    sometimes low carb veggies and cheese if I make an omelette

Lunch
    Some sort of protein/generally chicken thighs or ribeye
    a salad with assorted low carb veggis and full fat dressings with no sugar

Dinner
    same as lunch with different protein and salad

I am 35 and weigh about 250 lbs. I have no energy and feel bad most of the time. I know its time for a change. Putting my daily diet into fitday.com has generally show that i eat about 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs. Is that sort of ratio correct? I am also limited on where to shop for my groceries. I only have a Walmart and a HEB here. Considering that I only have those two stores, what should I get and what should I stay away from? I am trying to keep my grocery list as simple as possible so I dont stress over every little calorie like I used to.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Your daily menu looks great! I think the ratios are fine too. It looks like you've already implemented what many here recommend for fat loss by limiting fruit, nuts, and dairy. One mistake that I made at first was trying to go low carb AND low fat. It doesn' work. In other words, don't be afraid to use some butter/lard/olive oil on your food. The only other thing I can think of to avoid is bottled salad dressings. They are almost always made with soybean oil, which is high in PUFA, mostly omega-6, which can cause inflammation in excess quantities. Not to mention it's a higly processed oil; just no good all around. There are a few threads and blog posts discussing salad dressings:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-de...lad-dressings/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...salad+dressing
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...salad+dressing

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Looks pretty good to me!

If your energy remains low, try adding in some more fats like avocado, butter, and coconut milk.

If you're having gastrointestinal discomfort, try cooking most of your veggies. (I find that I feel best when my BAS are made with raw spinach and sprouts, but I steam and chill all the rest of the veggies like carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, etc.)

I agree with yodie about the bottled salad dressings -- even the full-fat versions almost always contain undesirable ingredients. My super-fast, go-to salad dressing is simply: 3 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinegar, a dash of salt, and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

omajoe is offline Member
    A few tips:

-- Buy a good bottle of extra virgin olive oil. You can use it for low temp cooking, mixed in salad dressings, or all by itself. It's a little more expensive, but the taste is definitely worth a price.
    -- If your stores are like the once here, you probably don't have access to much organic produce, so make sure you wash your produce thoroughly before eating.
    -- Get a good Omega 3 fish oil supplement. You'll probably want to take 2-3 grams a day to offset the omega-6's in a typical diet.
    -- Get Omega-3 enriched eggs if they carry them instead of the standard ones.
    -- Since most of the meat those grocery stores carry is from commercial, corn-fed animals, you might want to eat leaner cuts to cut down on toxins and Omega-6's stored in the animal fat. An overabundance of Omega-6 fatty acids in the diet cause inflammation, which leads to all sorts of problems.
    -- If it's within your budget, check out some of the mail order companies that ship grass-fed beef and chicken, or look for a local producer at eatwild.com.
    -- And, if you like fish, make canned salmon a regular part of your diet. It's high in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, if you mix it with a good mayonnaise (not Hellmans, which is made from soybean oil), it makes a great snack or meal, either by itself or on top of some greens. You can make your own mayonnaise or order some from companies like nonamenutrition.com. Or you might find some at your store if they have a health food section.

Dgr_874 is offline Member
    Thank you so much for your great responses. It's nice to know that I am at least going down the right track.

@yodiewan
    -thanks for the support and the links! they were quite informative

@barbeygirl
    -thanks for the tip. I have been having stomach problems alot. I do believe its related to all the sugar i used to eat though. Hopefully this will cure it.

@omajoe
    -what do you recomend to wash my veggies in? is there a certian kind of soap or wash that works better than others?
    -untill i get up the nerve to start ordering my meat by mail, will going orgainic on the fatty steaks work or should I switch to leaner cuts if organic isnt avalible? if so, what cuts?

omajoe is offline Member
    Some suggestions for lean beef include:
    -- Eye of round roast
    -- extra lean ground beef (at least 93% lean)
    -- flank steak
    -- Chuck shoulder roast
    -- Arm pot roast
    -- Top sirloin steak
    -- T-bone steak

You can also trim the visible fat off more fatty pieces of meat. And don't sweat it if you eat fattier conventional meat once in a while. Just make sure you're taking fish oil supplements to get your Omega 3's to keep a good balance with the Omega 6's from the meat.

As for washing produce (rinsing probably would have been a better word choice), I know there are some specific products available (Fit and VeggieWash, for example), but I just try to rinse mine thoroughly (and scrub a little) under tap water.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Joe, I'm curious, why the emphasis on leanness? Having some omega-6 fat in the diet is OK as long as the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is still good, right?

Lynnsey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omajoe View Post
    -- And, if you like fish, make canned salmon a regular part of your diet. It's high in protein and Omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, if you mix it with a good mayonnaise (not Hellmans, which is made from soybean oil), it makes a great snack or meal, either by itself or on top of some greens. You can make your own mayonnaise or order some from companies like nonamenutrition.com. Or you might find some at your store if they have a health food section.
    I love mayo and am not interested in making my own. I checked out that site (nonamenutrition) and I couldn't find mayo listed. I would be very interested in finding a mayo without soybean or canola oil. Even the "healthy" ones at Whole Foods all seem to have crap oils. Any other suggestions?