Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Previously I have been okay with slow weight loss and healing but now.. page 3

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    okay so I should do Marks regime of bodyweight? I do have the book body by science available to me. I am not sure if that would be better

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I kind of like body by science. I think it aligns with your optimal health goal more so than regimes where people are mainly wanting to get ripped to some degree. I think you should go with that. Besides, you should be walking everywhere in Italy, anyway, so I think it would count as sufficient exercise if you did one difficult thing every 10 days (or whatever they prescribe now)

Body by science it is then!
    I have started walking next is to dust off the dumbells!

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jacmac

Sounds fascinating. If you are not exercising than walking is a great place to start, it is not scary and you naturally progress, feel like you want to do more. By all means grab the weights as well.

In Italy there are lots of stairs, so you might want to start practising now.

I have had people stay and truly the difference in holidays is those that have the stamina to move slowly all day have a much better time than those that are not used to walking.

If you want to supplement your language course the Michel Thomas cd is really good.
    Life. Be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    Hi Jacmac

Sounds fascinating. If you are not exercising than walking is a great place to start, it is not scary and you naturally progress, feel like you want to do more. By all means grab the weights as well.

In Italy there are lots of stairs, so you might want to start practising now.

I have had people stay and truly the difference in holidays is those that have the stamina to move slowly all day have a much better time than those that are not used to walking.

If you want to supplement your language course the Michel Thomas cd is really good.
    Thanks Belforte
    I agree stamina is important.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    Ever been to Florence as a tourist? You'd never know they were "celiac aware"
    I was going to say something to this effect. I live part of the year in northern Italy with my husband's family, and I've never come across any Italian person there who knew about Celiac, nor are many gluten-free products available there unless you seek out a health food store, and then it's still limited and a total crap-shoot.

Honestly, even with all my dietary restrictions, I find it pretty easy to eat out in Italy. If you're in a restaurant, each portion of food is ordered seperately; a meat dish, a pasta dish, a vegetable or salad. Just don't order the pasta. Also, I've never seen any 'salad dressings' in Italy. Standard is olive oil and vinegar, and they are generally both very good quality unlike what often passes for oil and vinegar in America.

Portion sizes are generally smaller (at least that's always been my experience), and there is no snacking culture (only exception is maybe an occasional gelato). One warning, I don't know if you eat dairy or not, but if not, don't get sorbeto as it's typically made with dairy. If you want something cold and sweet, a safe bet is a granita (a fruity flavored icy drink) if you can find one made with real fruit, which shouldn't be too hard.

Even their candy and sodas use real sugar, I've never seen any HFCS in Italy.

Another suggestion is to go to a butcher shop and get some affetati (cured meats) like prosciutto crudo or bresaola (if you're looking for lean protein). If you're looking for fattier meats, you could go with something like pancetta or salame or something. The local butcher shops will be an invaluable resource; I've found myself eating many meals of amazing cured local Italian meats when I'm traveling to a new town.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 04-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    While you're in Florence, see if you can take some day trips; there are lots of really awesome towns nearby in Tuscany. My faves are San Gimignano (the city of towers!), Volterra, Lucca, and Colle Di Val d'Elsa (the old city is way up high and almost a ghost town, which in my opinion makes it really interesting). Monteriggioni is cool, too, but pretty small. Only thing is that once you leave Rome, Venice, or Florence there is not much English spoken, so having at least survival Italian would be very helpful.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 04-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks BestBetter, I have a scheduled trip to Gimignano but will add the others to my list.
    I have slayed the sugar dragon so no need for sweets.
    My focus for now is exercise I am currently reading Body by Science. Gearing up for a workout tomorrow eek!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123