Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Two cents on cross fit wanted ? page 7

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks! I'll look for a playground with monkey bars. I didn't do a lot of monkey bar stuff as a kid either although I remember being able to do them. I don't think I could do them now. (I think my bodyweight increased disproportionately to my upper body strength--hah!)

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    Now, after my previous reply, where I basically bashed CrossFit, I will concede this to it:

CrossFit has been great because it does teach the right movements/lifts. Problem is in how they apply it in a 'WOD' and the intesity/speed expected.

I think everyone who is not already knowledgeable on lifting should go to a quality CrossFit box and do the on-ramp/fundamentals classes. Why? Because good luck trying to find a competent personal trainer for the ~$150 that will give you 4 to 6 sessions that will teach you how to properly swing a kettlebell, do wallballs, box jumps, and all the olympic lifts without injuring yourself. Then, armed with that knowledge, quit CrossFit and then you'll be able to take that knowledge and bring it with you to workout at your globo-gym, backyard, or anywhere else where you have access to a barbell and kettlebell. And you'll be able to do the workouts at the right level of intensity (i.e., NOT chronic cardio and NOT lifting weights for speed/time, which is ALWAYS ridiculous).

For me, I was able to learn how to properly do the lifts by joining a CrossFit affiliate. Fortunately my affiliate had a couple of top-notch oly lifting coaches (with certs outside of CrossFit HQ's). I then honed technique on my own using Starting Strength (the videos) and youtube (lots of free, great stuff on there), and just plain being able to do the lifts on my own without having to push through the reps as fast as possible with an eye on a timer or a stupid scoring whiteboard.

Again - the problem with CrossFit is not the movements prescribed, it is the perception that 'high intensity' is always the goal. That lardass Greg Glassman's whole schtick is high intensity (though he's smart enough not to Rx it to himself, obviously). High intensity equals speed + exertion. Speed and weightlifting are not a match.
    You make a good point... lately I have been considering not re-signing up to CrossFit when my contract expires (I signed a 12 month contract so I'd pay lower monthly fees... the fees are outrageous!!). I feel that my strength isn't increasing as much as it could if I was able to focus more on strength building exercises, although I will concede that I'm fitter than I would have been if I'd JUST been focussing on strength.

I was feeling a little frustrated because my sister said she's now able to do 60kg back squats, and I can't do anywhere near that. However, she did say she started at bar weight (20kg) and I know when I started CrossFit I could do heavier than bar weight (albeit not by much)... so I figure that if I was actually just doing it at a gym with a program I'd be getting those same sort of gains. However, as CrossFit's all over the place, we're just not working consistently on any particular lifts... so I might do deadlifts one session, and then not do another deadlift for 3 weeks...which is hardly helping me increase my deadlifts by any significant amount.

However, through CrossFit I HAVE learned a bunch of lifts that I was never taught just going to a gym and getting a program (they used to give me mostly machines... but I say stuff the machines for the most part!). Now, I know how to do the lifts, so I could go to a regular gym and do them and then work to some sort of program.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Or because what you call "slow heavy lifting" provides a more appropriate stimulus for adding muscle mass in a novice/detrained individual (that's not meant in a pejorative or derogatory manner, it's just a way to describe someone who's not already within spitting distance of their genetic strength potential).
    In my case it's simply low genetic potential. I reach it easily and can't progress because I have no ability. I hoped X-Fit Inspired stuff might be more effective, but no, it is not in my case. It is a good idea to try though. And it is fun to do it, even if it doesn't improve your performance.

I would also suggest that if you are not sure how to do an exercise, try it with a light weight, and if the movement doesn't feel natural, or puts a strain as the weight gradually increases, replace it. For example, PT set my shape properly for the Front Squat, but even with an empty bar, my weak wrist and forearm takes injury after a few reps. There are absolutely no need imo to get attached to any particular exercise. There ain't such muscle that it can't be trained with a simple, safe motion.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

indierock4ever is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    You make a good point... lately I have been considering not re-signing up to CrossFit when my contract expires (I signed a 12 month contract so I'd pay lower monthly fees... the fees are outrageous!!). I feel that my strength isn't increasing as much as it could if I was able to focus more on strength building exercises, although I will concede that I'm fitter than I would have been if I'd JUST been focussing on strength.

I was feeling a little frustrated because my sister said she's now able to do 60kg back squats, and I can't do anywhere near that. However, she did say she started at bar weight (20kg) and I know when I started CrossFit I could do heavier than bar weight (albeit not by much)... so I figure that if I was actually just doing it at a gym with a program I'd be getting those same sort of gains. However, as CrossFit's all over the place, we're just not working consistently on any particular lifts... so I might do deadlifts one session, and then not do another deadlift for 3 weeks...which is hardly helping me increase my deadlifts by any significant amount.

However, through CrossFit I HAVE learned a bunch of lifts that I was never taught just going to a gym and getting a program (they used to give me mostly machines... but I say stuff the machines for the most part!). Now, I know how to do the lifts, so I could go to a regular gym and do them and then work to some sort of program.
    i'm experiencing the same issue where my strength isnt increasing as much as other people who started at the same time as me.

Are you going to just go to a regular gym and design your own program or routine?

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indierock4ever View Post
    i'm experiencing the same issue where my strength isnt increasing as much as other people who started at the same time as me.

Are you going to just go to a regular gym and design your own program or routine?
    Well not sure if I'll design my own, I'll probably look into some of the programs out there and follow one! I don't think I need to do a gazillion complex movements... just basic deadlifts, squats, presses etc. as well as bodyweight stuff like pullups (which I can't do yet without bands).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567